risks

Discussion in 'CT7' started by salonijain, Aug 4, 2014.

1. salonijain

salonijain Member

can someone explain favourable, fair,unfavourable risks in an easier way. i could not understand the explanation in the book. it would be a great help
    pleasee:) :)

2. Graham Aylott

Graham Aylott Member

Hi,

I presume you're referring to the discussion on pages 86-87 in the textbook, where it talks about favourable, fair and unfavourable odds.

Favourable odds are where you expect to make a gain on average, eg if you could repeat the risky event a large number of times. An example here would be if you were tossing a coin and had the chance to win £2 if you call correctly, but lose £1 if you call incorrectly. These odds are favourable because the expected gain from a single toss of the coin is:

0.5 * £2 + 0.5 * £1 = +£0.50

and so if you tossed the coin a large number of times, you would expect to make a gain on average of 50p per coin toss.

In this coin tossing example, fair odds would be where you win £1 if you call correctly, but lose £1 if you call incorrectly, as on average you would expect to neither make a gain or a loss.

Likewise, unfavourable odds would be where you win £1 if you call correctly, but lose £2 if you call incorrectly, as on average you would expect to make a loss of 50p per coin toss.

I hope this makes things clear.

Graham :)

3. salonijain

salonijain Member

thanks alot!
    it helped:)