Revision booklet question - Thiele's differential equation

Discussion in 'CT5' started by lucky999, Feb 2, 2014.

1. lucky999

lucky999 Member

Where are the Thiele's differential equation questions gone?
    I would have thought they would have been in Revision Booklet 3, but they are not in there...

e.g. Q11(ii) from April 2010 surely could still turn up?

2. John Potter

John Potter ActEd Tutor Staff Member

Hi lucky999,

Yes, I agree, part (ii) could still come up. We will make sure this is covered in the corrections document, which you can find on our website as usual,

Thanks,
    John

3. lucky999

lucky999 Member

Thanks John.

Also, is there a list of questions from CT5 that have been missed out in the revision booklets, other than the below?
    Or could it be added to a "sticky" thread on the forum which questions from CT5 are no longer applicable?

Or could they still by chance ask Q11(i) as a higher order skills question?
    Thank you.

4. John Potter

Hi lucky999,

I think the one you have spotted is just an anomaly (at least I hope it is!). It would be a bit embarrassing on our part if we needed a "list" for questions that should be in the rev booklets but aren't. Please let me know though if you think you have found one on a different topic that should be in the rev notes.

I think it would be very unfair for the exam to ask part (i) now that it is off the syllabus. Unfortunatley, it's not unheard of for topics to be taken off the syllabus and then asked about (!) but my money is against it. Certainly the expected benefit/cost ratio is way too low to spend time worrying about this,

John

5. lucky999

lucky999 Member

Thanks for your reply.

I will stop worrying too much about 11(i) then for now.

Hmmm I also cannot seem to find Q9 of April 2005 (I would have thought it would have been in Booklet 9). Surely, that can come up in the exam?

(Haha I did not go searching through the booklets for this in fact - a complete coincidence:))

6. John Potter

Hi lucky999,

Yes, that one should be there in Booklet 9. I know it's only a simple bookwork question but sorry that it isn't there. Please let me know if you spot any others,

John

7. lucky999

lucky999 Member

Thanks for your reply John. Sure, will make a note of this.
    Haven't spotted any others:)

8. AKS01

AKS01 Very Active Member

Hi,

Is April 2010 Q11 (ii) still relevant for the syllabus? The mark scheme says it is a "bookwork question" but I cannot find a link in the notes?

9. This is bookwork relating to Thiele's equation. It is not on the syllabus for CT5 (and has not been since 2015), and so there is no Core Reading or notes that relate to it. You do not need to prepare for this question.
    Robert