Revalorisation method

Discussion in 'SP2' started by Y Chen, Aug 29, 2023.

1. Y Chen

Y Chen Keen member

Hi,
    I am a bit unsure with this question :
    A company uses the formula (k.i’-i) to calculate savings profit, with a guarantee that k
    will be at least 80%. Why might the company actually distribute a savings profit calculated with a k of, say, 110%?
    The answer in the notes say:
    If earned i ́ is sufficiently below i, then this may be necessary just to produce a non-negative answer. A negative bonus would not be possible because this would undermine the guarantee implicit in the premium rates.

What if the company uses k(i’-i) formula? And we have a negative answer because we made a loss on investments, does that mean there’s simply no savings bonus paid out?
    In the above question, are they referring to the scenario where we did in fact make a savings profit i’>i but after applying the k we get a negative answer? So we adjust k to make it positive?

2. Mark Willder

Mark Willder ActEd Tutor Staff Member

Hi Y Chen

Please can you give me a reference for this question. Where did you see it, eg chapter number and page number?

Best wishes

Mark

3. Y Chen

Y Chen Keen member

Hi Mark, this is from Question 10.3 in the South African F102 Acted notes.

Additionally, can you please also explain this to me - I'm struggling to grasp the concept of this bonus method regarding increase in reserves, benefits and premiums by the same %? If a company is distributing bonuses from profit, why are they getting charged higher future premiums? would premiums and bonuses not partially offset to some extent?

Thanks for your help :)

4. Mark Willder

Hi Y Chen

Thank you for the chapter reference. The F102 course is a little different to the SP2 course.

Yes, we are just trying to make sure here that the result isn't negative. Rather than adjust k (which doesn't work for the second formula anyway), the insurer could just take the quoted formula subject to a minimum of zero.

Best wishes

Mark

5. Mark Willder

Hi Y Chen

Ignoring expenses, reserves are the present value of the benefits less premiums. So if the insurer has made a surplus and can afford to increase reserves by 5% say, then it can achieve this by increasing both the benefits and premiums by 5%.

If we wanted to hold the premium constant then the benefit would have to increase by less than 5%.

Best wishes

Mark