regulatory vs statutory

Discussion in 'SA3' started by DanielZ, May 11, 2015.

1. DanielZ

DanielZ Member

Do the terms "regulatory" and "statutory" mean exactly the same thing?

Are "regulatory returns" the same as "statutory returns"?

Thanks

2. Katherine Young

Katherine Young ActEd Tutor Staff Member

3. DanielZ

DanielZ Member

Thanks, and they are also the same as "PRA returns", right?

4. Katherine Young

Katherine Young ActEd Tutor Staff Member

5. DanielZ

DanielZ Member

also called "Annual Returns", right? :)

Just choose one name already!

6. Pede

Pede Member

yes, Insurance Annual returns, DTI returns, FSA returns, PRA returns, Statutory returns, Regulatory returns. All the same thing over the decades.

Many happy returns!

7. td290

td290 Member

I'm going to go slightly against the flow here and say that I don't think these do always mean the same thing. I would define them as follows:

Statutory returns - any return required by statute.

Regulatory returns - any return required/requested by a supervisory body.

An example of a statutory return that is not regulatory would be a VAT return.

An example of a regulatory return that is not statutory would be various Lloyds' returns, e.g. the LCR.

Obviously in non-UK jurisdictions, regulatory returns will not be PRA returns.

PRA returns - any return required/requested by the PRA. In my experience this normally refers to a data collection exercise that happens around April (?) each year.

They all can mean slightly different things but the clue is always in the title!

Hemant Rupani likes this.
  8. Ian Senator

Ian Senator ActEd Tutor Staff Member

In the wider General Insurance (or even Insurance - or even financial...) arena, td290, you're absolutely right.

In the context of the SA3 Core Reading and Course Notes, however, they're all the same thing.

So I guess in the exam, if there's any doubt, just add a few more words to make it clear to the examiners what you're referring to.