Recruitment practices

Discussion in 'Careers' started by mpyan1, Dec 17, 2013.

1. mpyan1

mpyan1 Member

May I ask if hiring managers have enquired when you have passed your Actuarial exams?

There is a tendency for hiring managers to prefer people who have recently passed exams. Have you considered that this is an example of indirect age discrimination? Mostly, the recent passers would be younger and ... coincidentally be cheaper to employ & no doubt easier to bluff than more experienced people.

There is another thread discussing what age is too old to start the Actuarial exams. I think people should be told that such questions are being asked of people and that judgments are being made by small-minded people in the Actuarial world about when you passed your Actuarial exams.

For some hiring managers, if you have not passed the Actuarial Exams at a rate of 3.5 / year then you're somehow less worthy to employ- this small-minded attitude crops up more often than I'm comfortable with.

2. langbourner

langbourner Member

I'm a 31 year old student. I work for a large London Market insurer. I have taken and passed exams at a snail's pace.

Our head of reserving is a similar age. Similar exam pass rate. Not even qualified because he hasn't got around to doing the WBS.

We are both well-paid by any standard. We have moved firms no problem. Neither of us has ever had a problem in the labour market. Neither of us knows anyone who has experienced the problems you are describing.

Top tip:
    Find an emotionally literate intelligent person who isn't an actuary. Ask her (it will almost certainly be a her if you follow my criteria) if she could do a mock interview and give you feedback.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 18, 2013