Recommended non Exam Reading Material

Discussion in 'CA3' started by CraigAvon, Apr 21, 2013.

1. CraigAvon

CraigAvon Member

In relation to the Communications exam, I was wondering what newpapers/magazines people would recommend to read, whose writing style would resemble what is required for the exam.

Effectively communicating financial information to lay people in an interesting and concise manner.

The Actuary magazine being targeted to fellow actuaries is probably one to avoid for this particular purpose, as it's target market is assumed to have a significant level of knowledge of technical aspects and jargon.

I have started picking up the Financial Times recently which seems reasonable. Just wondering if people have other suggestions on daily/weekly material that is both interesting and is similar to what should be emulated in exam conditions.

2. Calum

Calum Member

I can't comment with respect to the exam, but in general I don't think you could do better than emulating the house style of The Economist. Their style guide is on their website, or you can buy a copy. And I believe you can get special subscription rates as an actuarial student.

3. calibre2001

calibre2001 Member

I know the title says non-exam but I still think the examiner report sample answers are the best.

As for non exam I tend to favour BBC articles generally because of the use of plain language in explaining things to the general public.