Ready to Order Material

Discussion in 'General study / exams' started by Sparky1972, Feb 16, 2008.

1. Sparky1972

Sparky1972 Member

Hi All,

I am ready to order the course material with a view to siiting 2 CT exams in September. I am thinking CT1 and CT3 for september, do you think this is the best pairing to start with. What are your thoughts in terms of the sequence teh CT subjects should be studied in.

Also I plan on ordering the CMP study pack from Acted, Is this the best material to get, should I order any extras.
    Look forward to feedback.

2. thomasb

thomasb Member

I did CT1 in September and am currently doing CT3 - it depends on your back ground, but personally I'm aiming for the more "mathsy/problem" based courses until I move into the profession.

I would recommend the CMP study pack, and there's a good case to be made for using the marking as well for the Series X assignments,

T.

3. Actuary

Actuary Member

providing you don't have to pay for CMP order it anyway, but otherwise an A-level maths text book will teach you more. There's loads of really really simple stuff int he acted CMP.

As for which subjects to do just do them in order. Bear in mind most students find CT4 and CT8 the hardest, and CT7 could be looked at as standalone since it doesn't really rely on any other (unlike 4 say where 1 and 3 are good to have done first) CT2 is also less maths and won't be helped much by studying others first.

Don't be tempted to take too many unless you have to, passing 2/2 is better than 1/3!! A trap I have fallen into :(

4. thomasb

thomasb Member

Are you confusing the Foundation Acted Course (which does basic maths revisions) with the Combined Materials Pack (which acted produce at a rate of one per CT subject)?

My earlier posting was certainly referring to the Course notes, not the maths revision notes,

Thomas

5. Actuary

Actuary Member

yeah I was, my mistake. Ignore what I said!

6. Sparky1972

Sparky1972 Member

I will study to take CT1 and CT3 initially in September. What would you consider to be average study time required for each.

7. thomasb

thomasb Member

Depends on your ability.

I ordered CT1 notes last March - I think I managed to do about five hours a week with a bit more intensity in the build up to the exam. One of the issues I had is my maths was a little rusty (I had to spend time remembering how to do integration by parts for instance).

And I managed to pass.

I'm a little behind with CT3 - I may yet sit in April but i have still to make that decision.

T.

8. bystander

bystander Member

There are suggested times of hours study needed in the Actuarial Education of actuaries.org.uk.

But everyone is different and will find subjects easier than others.

The inportant point is that it is the QUALITY of your study time rather than quantity. An Hour in deep earnest is better than 3 spent doodling or being distracted by views from a window etc etc.

Good luck

9. thomasb

thomasb Member

Indeed.

One thing I didn't mention in my earlier posting was that I often took the ActEd notes to the bog with me - I'm not counting that time spent studying, but it does help sometimes in clarifying or understanding things.

Then again - I get most of my best ideas sitting in there, so that might not meant much,

T,