Re-sitting CT1

Discussion in 'CT1' started by tsam007, Nov 26, 2005.

1. tsam007

tsam007 Member

I have failed CT-1 in September 2005. I will re-sit in April 2006.
    Anyone could give me advice or skill in passing CT1?

Zoe

2. Muppet

Muppet Member

practise questions

I think the key is to practise lots and lots of questions.

If you did this last time then don't think that it was the wrong thing to do - just do more -and if you don't get them right,do them again to prove that you can do them.

good luck

3. John Lee

John Lee ActEd Tutor Staff Member

That's the way you do it!

Muppet's right. The Ct1 exam itself is mostly application - and little theory so the actual knowledge required is limited. Coupled with the fact that the exams have been the same since the year dot - makes exam practice the key tool in revision for CT1.

Old CT1 papers were 102 and before that they were A1. There really has been little change since then (Only the introduction of the arbitrage/forward contract chapter in 102).

Best way to do past questions is in topics. So do all the questions on Ch9 loans in a row (at least 3-5 questions) and you'll find that the "penny will drop". Either search through the papers yourself or buy ASET which has a topic cross-refernce grid for the last 6 papers or get the revision books that sorts them by topics back to 2000.

4. p51ngh

p51ngh Member

I come from an engineering background and I generally find it easier to first UNDERSTAND the underlying principles before attempting to apply them. Your understanding of the subject should be in a very non-mathematical context to start with and you should be able to make inferences and deductions without doing any written mathematics.

For every 30 mins of study you should give yourself 1 hour to think about what you have just read. Think about changing one variable with respect to another. Think about the wider effects of doing so and its implications. After you have done this, have a stab at the mathematical reasoning behind the subject. It should fly by easily and give more meaning to what you have just thought.

Once you achieve this you should be able to attempt any question without difficulty and you will pass the exam with flying colours .

Don't practice lots and lots of questions at the begining because this undermines the whole purpose of studying and thinking about a topic in a theoretical sense.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 7, 2006