Re-opened Claim

Discussion in 'SP7' started by WTang, Sep 16, 2015.

1. WTang

WTang Member

Hi

Could someone please give me some examples of how claims can be re-opened?
    Does it tend to be the characteristic of liability insurance?

Thanks
    W

2. Darren Michaels

Darren Michaels ActEd Tutor Staff Member

Reopened claims are not just restricted to liability policies they can occur on other types of policies as well (eg property damage).

Some examples would be as follows:

A claimant involved in an accident discovers after the original claim is settled that they have suffered from an injury/illness which was not apparent at the time the original claim was settled and thus returns to the insurer for additional compensation. This may be as a result of a claims management company contacting the individual.

The repairs to a vehicle carried out under a property damage claim are completed poorly and have to be redone at a later stage.

3. WTang

WTang Member

Darren, it makes sense now. Many thanks to your response.

4. tiger

tiger Member

I think it can also occur for process reasons, as well as the nature of the risk.
    A claim may be reported, and not followed up with required documentation.
    A company may have a policy of closing such claims in its systems after a certain period. If the customer does follow up then the claim should be reopened.

5. Darren Michaels

Yes tiger that's another good example of why a claim may be reopened.

Depending on the precise practices of the insurer there could be many different reasons for a claim to be reopened.

6. WTang

WTang Member

Thanks that's useful!
    Based on Tiger's point, would you say it makes "re-opened claim possible" always a general point to make in claims characteristic questions?

7. Darren Michaels

In theory yes, but I would recommend, as always, that you customise your answer so that it fits the specifics of the question.

Therefore I would say whether re-opened were likely/unlikely/very unlikely depending on the class of business and ideally give an example of a situation specific to the class of business under consideration which might give rise to re-opened claims.