Rate my efforts

Discussion in 'General study / exams' started by scarlets, Jul 18, 2006.

1. scarlets

scarlets Member

Hi folks
    I've spent 8 weeks * 10 hours per week trying to absorb the material for two CT exams & trying to keep up with Acted's assignment timetable!! By 'absorbing' I mean reading through the notes and working through Q&A bank and assignment. On average, I'd work through one part of a CT course per week.

Comparing this situation with my past approach to actuarial exams-it is a relatively healthy position I find myself in, with 6-7 weeks left to revise and practice questions.

Frankly, if I fail one of these exams after this kind of effort I will be upset as I think this is a lot of time to give up just to fail & can't see myself being able to dedicate much more than 10 hours/week to study in future.

I realise it's about quality not just quantity but in terms of time dedicated so far how would you rate this kind of effort- is it average, below average or above average?

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 18, 2006
  2. scarlets

scarlets Member

To answer my own question somewhat , just checked the estimation from the actuaries website:

:eek:

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 18, 2006
  3. FatSam

FatSam Member

I would say that seems a pretty good effort
    I havent even started studying yet although I am just planning to do resits.
    You should be looking to step it up in the next couple of weeks though cause you will probably find that in the last few weeks you will need to at least double that output.
    Well done though, its admirable.

4. Erik

Erik Member

Scarlet, I would say it is a very good effort. What works much better for me is to spread the course over a much longer time period and revise each part three or four times. I find that it takes time to really absorb the material and get an in depth knowledge of the subject. I must add that I usually study more than is needed to pass the exam. For the last few weeks: Do lots of question practise, review your notes. Leave at least two days before the exam for all the memorising of lists and other bookwork (especially CT8 and 4). Do lots of old exam papers. I couldn't believe my luck after April 2006, where two questions came up that I did the day before. It's a real boost to the self confidence.

Good luck.

5. Cymro Card

Cymro Card Member

I've never given much time to the actuaries website's estimations... I reckon there is an element of self-selection there (spot the actuary!) in as much as those that do excessive study are more liekly to respond. Oh, and people round up to an answer they feel they should be doing!

I reckon yours is a pretty good state to be in... for me the key was to do as many past papers as possible and, if I had time, to do 'em again! (actually, that was more intent than reality - was always behind schedule!)

The only word or warning I have is not to get too complacent that you are for enough ahead to keep having days off here and there - have tried that this time and a month disappeared without me knowing (darn World Cup!!)

Good luck!

6. Dha

Dha Member

Unfortunately, there is an element of luck involved though. There may be an exceptionally hard paper, or questions that just dont suit you.

7. Muppet

Muppet Member

but surprisingly enough, the more work you do, the less luck you tend to need!!! ;)

8. Erik

Erik Member

An old professor I know always says: "The more you study, the luckier you get!"

My opinion is that if you are really well prepared, you should pass, regardless. If you are less well prepared then luck (or rather the selection of topics chosen for exam questions) becomes more important.

Cheers.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 20, 2006
  9. scarlets

scarlets Member

thanks guys, it's nice to hear your valuable thoughts and have a bit of moral support!!

10. scarlets

scarlets Member

Now that I've started looking at past papers, they seem a LOT easier than the Q&A bank!
    Q&A bank 5 was great, really got me scared... but now I look at past papers I ain't scared as I should be!!

11. Apple

Apple Member

Sounds good

I think with that amount of work you will be well prepared. You only need to stand out from the crowd and I'm sure you will do.....