Questions on Differentiation

Discussion in 'FAC & Stats Pack' started by Yennie, May 10, 2014.

1. Yennie

Yennie Member

Hi all,

I am currently refreshing my understanding on differentiation and got to the sections on,
    - 1.2 Order Notation
    - 1.3 Supremums and infimums
    and I am basically struggling to understand both application. Have no idea what it is for at all.

My questions are,
    1. With both techniques mentioned above, which CT subjects are they generally applicable to?
    2. Are there any books that I can refer to in order to understand these two techniques?

Hoping to get some help.

Cheers,
    Yennie

2. Calum

Calum Member

Hmm. Off the top of my head, I can't think of anything in which basic real analysis is used directly, but the logical thinking involved definitely is helpful. CT8 probably involves the most application of this kind of thinking, I'd guess.

As far as books go, there are millions - I'd suggest going on amazon, searching for Real Analysis, and finding the reviews that you think will suit you best. You're looking for something suited to first year undergraduates.

The Zakon textbooks are free online and seem well written, though I haven't gone through them in detail. They may be a step beyond what you're looking for.

3. John Lee

John Lee ActEd Tutor Staff Member

We use the order notation in CT6 as well - but only the small o - but I just think of it as "smaller terms that I don't worry about..."

Have you looking at the FAC online classroom - I do an explanation of this and I think it's much better than the notes....(but I am biased)