Questions on Chapters 15-20

Discussion in 'SP7' started by JL24, Mar 12, 2023.

1. JL24

JL24 Active Member

Hello there, this is going to be a long post, any input on some/all of these questions would be highly appreciated! :)

Chapter 15
    1. Ch 1 mentions incurred claims = claims paid + change in reserves for outstanding claims.
    - Does this mean incurred claims include IBNR, IBNER, claims handling expenses, reopened claims?
    - If the above is true, can I say that incurred claims triangles already include some IBNR (hence my projection is just projecting the remaining IBNR and not the total IBNR)?

2. Is it possible to have underwriting year as my origin year in my triangles (hence projecting the unexpired risk as well)? Or is it more usual to allow for unexpired risks separately?

3. In the average cost per claim method (ACPC), the example calculations seem to be using a weighted average of cumulative average claim amounts to obtain development factors to develop the average claim amounts to ultimate (and this is applied on the cumulative projected ultimate claim numbers).
    - However, the notes that follow mentions 'for an average claim size the volume dimension has been removed so a simple average is more appropriate'.
    - In practice question 15.5 (iii), a different approach is used - the simple average of incremental average claim amounts is directly applied on the incremental projected outstanding claim numbers.

Which approach should be adopted in the exam?

Chapter 16
    1. Under Section 8 - Model forms, it is mentioned that the ODP model is more flexible because individual negative increments are possible, as long as the development factor across the development period as a whole is greater than one.
    - However, in Section 5, under ODP model, one of the key assumptions is that the expected incremental claims are positive for all development periods.

Can I interpret this as the following: Individual negative increment by claim level is acceptable, as long as the aggregated increment over all claims in each cell of the triangle is positive (hence having development factors always >1)?

Chapter 17
    1. In section 2: Ratio of IBNR to case estimates
    - Do case estimates include estimations for reopened claims, IBNER and claims handling expenses (i.e. all components of outstanding claims except for IBNR)?
    - What exactly does this ratio tell us?

2. Practice question 17.3 solutions:
    - Wouldn't a deterioration of claims experience and distorting large loss increase both the case estimates and the incurred claims (since from Ch1, incurred claims include change in reserves for outstanding claims too)? Why would these then increase the case estimates to incurred claims ratio?

Chapter 19
    1. In section 3 on non-investible funds, what does this mean: 'the insurer may decide that a smaller proportion of its other investible assets needs to be invested short'?

Chapter 20
    1. Section 2 - Steps in building and running a stochastic model
    - In a stochastic model, are both my scenarios (e.g. interest rate, inflation rate) and variable outputs (e.g. claim severity) assigned probability distributions?
    - What is varied to make the model 'stochastic'? e.g. if my scenario to be tested is the interest rate environment, do I take a different interest rate from its distribution on each run, while the parameters for my claim severity distribution (e.g. lognormal distribution parameters) remain the same throughout?
    - After checking the goodness of fit, we may attempt a different density function. Is this referring to the density function of the scenarios (interest rate) or variable outputs (claim severity)?
    - Similarly in sensitivity tests, we may use different distributions/parameters. Is this referring to that of the scenarios or variable outputs?

2. In section 5, under types of data, there is no mention of claims arising from unexpired risks and future business written. However, the reinsurance points do mention unexpired risks and future business.
    - Are claims for unexpired risks and future business needed in the capital model? If not, why not?

Thank you for reading until the end!

2. Darren Michaels

Darren Michaels ActEd Tutor Staff Member

JL24 likes this.
  3. JL24

JL24 Active Member

Thanks a lot for the clear explanation Darren! :)