question

Discussion in 'CT6' started by ezCTseries, Jul 30, 2012.

1. ezCTseries

ezCTseries Member

What techniques should i use to best prepare for the exam?

2. bystander

bystander Member

All exams are much the same.

1. make sure you complete the course early enough to revise properly
    2. If you have marking take note of comments on how to improve
    3. Practise past papers and get your timing right.
    4. A mock can also help.

3. ezCTseries

ezCTseries Member

thanks

thanks for the advice, will work on it.

4. John Lee

John Lee ActEd Tutor Staff Member

I was always recommend the following three stages to my students.

1. Practice RECALL of formulae, bookwork, methods, proofs by testing yourself using flkashcards (question on one side and answer on the other).

2. Attempt past papers in topics (eg do 3-5 questions on decision theory in a row). This helps get you up to exam speed and is a more efficient way of learning than complete past papers.

3. Then attempt complete past papers.

With CT6 because the syllabus is so large it sometimes takes a while for questions to come up again. So I would always recommend looking a bit further back in past papers just to make sure that you haven't missed any type of question that has not been tested for a while.

5. manish.rex

manish.rex Member

Try solving past exam papers under strict exam conditions...then mark your answer sheet by comparing that with answer provided by the institute..be little conservative while marking yourself...stop practising question papers when you have achieved someting like 75-90 marks, lest you overdo youself ... :)

6. Edwin

Edwin Member

manish, have you ever clocked a good 75%, i'm currently doing CT5 papers and also hovering at 50???

7. manish.rex

manish.rex Member

Yep....generally it has been around 75. Maximum has been 87 with 100 marks attempt :)

8. Edwin

Edwin Member

Which CT was that and any tips to get there?

9. manish.rex

manish.rex Member

It is CT-5 I am talking about. You can do following to get there:

1. Couple of questions are routine, like premium calculations, Joint life annuities. Make sure you can complete them as fast as you can, with accuracy.

2.Order the questions in your exam paper, which ones you want to tackle first, second and so on. This is my approach, yours may differ.

3.First 50 marks are generally spread over 10 questions, roughly 5-8 marks each. Focus on these to complete them within 80 minutes. These are generally straightforward, may be little tricky, but nothing much.If found tricky, skip them.

4. From bigger questions, questions from profit testings are generally relatively easy ones. Try mastering them so that you save time there.

These have been my strategy for this paper. You need to see what suits you. :)

10. ezCTseries

ezCTseries Member

undecided

Hi,
    I can't decide which one to take: CT2 or CT6? I'm giving IAI exams for the first time since I cleared ExamP/1( SOA/CAS/CIA) from U.S.A.

Please help.

11. Calum

Calum Member

If you're familiar with the material in CT3 and 4 then you will be OK with CT6. If not, you will struggle badly.

Otherwise, CT2 has a reputation for being easy, but in my opinion it's one of the more useful ones to have studied in general.

12. ezCTseries

ezCTseries Member

thanks

thanks calum, I appreciate your input.

I love my enemies cuz they bring the best outta me.