Question regarding referencing for Qs

Discussion in 'General study / exams' started by Benoy Soman, Apr 18, 2021.

1. Benoy Soman

Benoy Soman Member

Hi All,

I had a specific question regarding referencing for the exam.

E.g. Say for a particular question you note down 6 bullet points:
    - 4 of which are your own independent ideas
    - the other 2 you have paraphrased from a learning resource.

For the referencing, I'm trying to weigh up between these two approaches:

1. At the bottom of your whole solution, note down
    "Part referenced from XXX source"
    (I'm just hoping this approach doesn't penalize the points that are your own ideas)

OR

2. After each specific bullet point that was paraphrased, note "Reference is XXX source"
    (I feel that this approach might be slightly time-consuming?)

Would really appreciate your thoughts on this! I know it's a specific Q

Acted tutors could you please advise?

Ultimately, I just want to adopt a practical approach without overthinking too much during the exam.

Thanks!

2. Studystuff

Studystuff Member

Hi Benoy, I am planning on doing something like your first idea.. Even though I am hoping that this will be overkill as I am planning on doing everything in my own words.

3. John Lee

John Lee ActEd Tutor Staff Member

Option 1 seems sensible.

4. N15

N15 Keen member

Have those who have sat exams this sitting have referenced every answer?
    I just don't understand how one can find the time to add the reference in, given these exams are so time-pressured to start with.

5. Michal Piatra

Michal Piatra Member

I didn’t reference a thing in today’s exam.
    There would be no time to do that, since I have not manage to finish even without it.
    I didn’t really look at the notes during the exam, since there is no time for that in my opinion.
    I don’t have a mapping in my head which would say from which page of core reading every idea comes from.
    So I would really furious if they would indicate that I plagiarised something.

6. Studystuff

Studystuff Member

I agree it’s very tough and it should have to be the last thing on your mind during an exam.. The whole “paraphrasing” element of everything confused matters even further. I find it incredibly hard to decipher between what’s your own point and what’s paraphrasing. As mentioned by a tutor in another forum, you could argue any scoring point is paraphrasing...

Michal Piatra likes this.