Queries re Emblem Software/GLM

Discussion in 'SP8' started by entact, Dec 6, 2013.

1. entact

entact Member

I have a couple of general EMBLEM/GLIM questions which I was hoping someone might be able to help me with or guide me in the right direction:

1. The user guide in Emblem is alright but does not contain nearly enough detail - have there been books/papers written on recommended approaches/techniques to follow when modelling in Emblem

2. I'm working on a household GLIM at the moment and very often, I am unable to explain the shape I'm getting for a factor for particular model e.g. I'm getting a U shaped curve for buildings SI bands in my Theft/Buldings/Claim Frequency model

Are there any resources which explain the modelling results of a household glim at a detailed level i.e. what shapes to expect for particular factors etc.

3. I am having a debate with colleagues at the moment re the method of modelling i.e. whether we should be modelling (claims/sums insured) or some other variant - any good resources on this would be much appreciated.

Thanks

2. antzlck

antzlck Member

You should be able to find 'GLM: A Practioners Guide" online. I believe it's written by Tower's Watson consultants and is on the reading list for one of the CAS upper exams I found it pretty good for gaining a deeper understanding of GLMs and their use in insurance pricing.

I can't imagine there'd be anything that tells you exactly what trends you'd expect to see for particular factors. I would advise to have conversations with colleagues, maybe include underwriters as well in order to explain trends. People need to be careful not to hold onto their preconceived ideas though as these may be false.