Qu for those who have sat CA3...

Discussion in 'CA3' started by Little Miss Actuary, Aug 11, 2007.

1. Hi

In the exam did you draft your answers in the answer booklet or on scrap paper? In the CT exams there was only ever about 2 sheets of scrap paper on the desk, which isn't going to be enough. Must be a bit tricky to write things up if the draft copy is in the booklet though. Any ideas how to approach this please :)

2. King

King Member

Have you considered asking for more paper?

3. Thanks :rolleyes: But the examiners might want to look at your plan?

4. rhoda

rhoda Member

where to draft

i would agree with King, just ask for more draft papers.

the examiners DO NOT want to look at your plan!!

they only want to mark your answers.

Of course if you can write straight out a perfect answer without any planning they don't care. but in actual fact you can't (well i don't advise you try this in the exam anyway).

so do your draft or outline or doodle graphs etc outside the answer booklet.

in the exam sitting which i passed the invigilator thought i was crazy asking for so many papers and starting to write in the answer booklet so late. but i passed!

5. ExamFatigued

ExamFatigued Member

Definitely draft on scrap. No merit whatsoever in using the answer book. I've done both and I found using the answer book just cost me time and effort.

6. bystander

bystander Member

The only merit I can see in the exam book is if you loose track of time and don't get to write up the answer in full.

So ensure you have a good clock!!!

7. yeah_baby

yeah_baby Member

For me I think this might be a real concern... does anyone think that in the absence of a fully completed letter (or whatever) your plan might be taken into consideration? And so it might be worth planning in the answer book after all?

Or is the message that I really need to make sure I get it all done on time?

8. rhoda

rhoda Member

will examiners consider your 'plan'....

dear citizens

please NEVER EVER have that fantasy thought.

1) even if the examiner is kind enough to go through your draft, it's not perfect, right? what hope do u hold towards him looking at this work? he won't pass you.

2) best thing to do: think and plan on draft papers - don't do it in answer book. when u r ready put your 'work' in the answer book. make it 'presentable'. that's the trick of CA3 - make things presentable.

much much easier than SA4!

9. yeah_baby

yeah_baby Member

Point taken :)

I'd better practice getting the questions finished on time then...

10. I know someone who didn't quite finish, but passed... so it's not a definite fail :)