QBank 3: Q3.19

Discussion in 'CT8' started by jensen, Mar 9, 2008.

1. jensen

jensen Member

In the solution for part (iv) the boundary condition is contradicting with the lower boundary for a European Call option, max(0, S_t-K.exp{rt}). Is this correct?

2. Mike Lewry

Mike Lewry Member

Q&A Bank 3.19

The boundary condition given for time T is just the payoff function for a call option.

Your lower bound formula for general time t<=T isn't quite right. The "rt" you have in the exponential should read "-r(T-t)". Making this correction removes the apparent contradiction.

3. jensen

jensen Member

Hi Mike

Please excuse my typo, but even so, the solution they provided is max(s-K,0) and the option in question is a European call, not American, which is why I thought this is contradicting with Chapter 9, page 18. Am I missing something here?

4. Mike Lewry

Mike Lewry Member

Q&A Bank 3.19

Since the option is European, the boundary condition holds at the boundary t=T, so in full we have f(T,s(T))=max[s(T)-K,0].

The lower bound is c(t)>=s(t)-K.exp{-r(T-t)}, which at time T becomes c(T)>=s(T)-K. So the boundary condition above satisfies this lower bound.

I'm sorry, but I can't see where you think there's a contradiction. If you're still not happy with this, please feel free to go into more detail about where your unease lies.