Q7(iii) September 2014

Discussion in 'CT8' started by Alibaba, Mar 23, 2017.

1. Alibaba

Alibaba Member

I'm looking at the solutions to the final part of this question and am getting a bit confused. The expectation under Q of the value of the derivative is taken as the payoff (10) multiplied by the formula in the tables for the Probability of ((max(Bs + mus) > 1.44). Is this not a real world formula for the probability? Why can you take the Q probability as being the exact same number as the P probability, or am I misunderstanding something?

2. Mark Mitchell

Mark Mitchell Member

The formula in Section 7.2 of the Tables applies to standard Brownian Motion, Bs. If Bs is standard Brownian Motion with respect to real-world probabilities P, then the probability obtained from the formula would be a real-world probability. If Bs is standard Brownian Motion with respect to risk-neutral probabilities Q, then the probability obtained from the formula would be a risk-neutral probability.

Unusually in this question, the probability measure isn't stated explicitly. But there's no mention of real-world probabilities at all, and the formula you've written down in (ii) is in terms of risk-neutral probabilities, so I'd say the most obvious assumption to make was that Bs was standard Brownian motion with respect to Q, so the formula yields the risk-neutral probabilities required.

3. Alibaba

Alibaba Member

I see, thanks!

4. i think there is also a printing mistake in the final solution given. the sign of 2u in the first cumulative function must be positive while in the second cumulative function it should be negative .am i right?

5. Mark Mitchell

Mark Mitchell Member

Yes - that's right.

6. Thanks for clarifying it.