Q7 2013

Discussion in 'CT7' started by Benoco, Sep 21, 2013.

1. Benoco

Benoco Member

Hey, I'm struggling with the following, which should be pretty straightforward at this stage:

To me none of the last 3 options make sense

B) Doesn't Marginal Utility decrease at a decreasing rate with income?

C) Same as B except the other way around, as income falls marginal utility increases.

D) This is the answer they gave and obviously not implied by the theory, but are B and C?

Can anyone explain how B and C are implied by the principle of diminishing marginal utility of income?

Anyone have any insight?

2. Benoco

Benoco Member

This question actually wrecked my head today, couldn't make heads or tails of it, eventually I was thinking "Jesus Christ, this should be obvious at this stage", I was hoping I was just burnt out from the week.

I just reopened it to take another look and noticed the following on the examiner's report:

I'm a dummy.

3. Margaret Wood

Margaret Wood Member

This was a bad question. The examiners awarded the mark to everyone. All that the theory says is that marginal utility falls as consumption increases, ie that total utility increases at a decreasing rate. This means that A is true. If we remove the "NOT" from the question, A would be the correct answer!

I'm afraid that bad questions do sometimes occur. Have confidence in yourself - as you say, you should know the answer at this stage. If you have a question like this, always go for one answer, but write a note to the examiner explaining any problems.

4. Benoco

Benoco Member

Wouldn't have thought to do that, thanks.