Q4.5(iii) Chapter 4 End of Chapter Question

Discussion in 'CS2' started by Brett Kim, May 28, 2021.

1. Brett Kim

Brett Kim Member

Hello this question is in regard to Question 4.5(iii) of the CS2 Chapter 4 end of chapter questions.

The questions asks to derive a forward differential equation for the probability that a claim is yet to be logged and classified by a claims administrator at time 5, in order to obtain an expression for the probability.

The model answers says this is equal to the probability that we are in state A for at least as time t. Which would be equivalent to P(W_A > t) = exp(-lambda_i * t) by use of the exponential distribution. And that is what the answer is.

But what about the fact that the claim can move to state I, S or C by time t? I.e. if it moves to any other state other than L by time t. This is not equivalent to the probability that we remain in state A for at least t time though. So I guess my question is I am wondering why 1- P_AL(t) is wrong for this question.

2. George97

George97 Member

Since we are asked for the probability that a claim is not logged by a claims administrator by time t, we only need to consider the situation where, between time 0 and t, we stay in state A (since state A is arrived in the claims dept).

1 - Pal (t) is wrong because it doesn't consider the other states we could be in at time t (I, S or C).
    1 - Pal(t) - Pai (t) - Pas(t) - Pac(t) should be equivalent