1. Posts in the subject areas are now being moderated. Please do not post any details about your exam for at least 3 working days. You may not see your post appear for a day or two. See the 'Forum help' thread entitled 'Using forums during exam period' for further information. Wishing you the best of luck with your exams.
    Dismiss Notice

Q on Type 2 Negative Binomial Parameters

Discussion in 'CT6' started by DMF, Sep 9, 2018.

1. DMF

DMF Member

I was working through a question in one of the assignments and in an alternative solutions, it is indicated that 2/[3^(n+1)] can be considered a Type 2 Neg. Bin. distribution with p=2/3 , q =1/3 and k=1. I am not sure how these parameters are defined. Any insight / hints would be appreciated.
    Thanks,

2. John Lee

John Lee ActEd Tutor Staff Member

I think you're referring to the mixture distribution question, in which case since there are only 4 cases that "work" I would've remembered that Poi/Gamma combination gives a NBin.

As for spotting it, we know that for a type 2 NBin we have P(N=n) = const * p^k * q^n

We can see we have 3^(n+1) on the denominator, so the 3^n we be the denominator or q^n - we don't know yet whether it will be 1 or 2 on the numerator, but we do know that p will have the other 3 on the denominator.

This tells us that k=1.

So the constant will now be \(\frac{\Gamma(n+1)}{\Gamma(n+1)\Gamma(1)} = 1\)

S0 all we have left is the 2 to go on one of the numerators. It must be the p as there is only one of them.