Q bank 3 3.29

Discussion in 'CT3' started by salj67, Mar 29, 2015.

1. salj67

salj67 Member

What is being done in part i?
    And why is the statistic less than or equal to o.oo5..
    It shoul lie between -0.005 and 0.005.explain!????

2. Hemant Rupani

Hemant Rupani Senior Member

0.05*
    Question demand for minimum "n" to see CI of maximum length 10% of \(\bar X \)
    i.e. maximum of (0.95\(\bar X \), 1,05\(\bar X \))=(\(\bar X \) - 0.05, \(\bar X \) + 0.05) at 95% level. ................( as \(\bar X \) is proportion.
    now compare general CI at 95% level with (\(\bar X \) -0.05, \(\bar X \) +0.05).
    you see!

3. salj67

salj67 Member

Sorry, but i haven't understood a word.

4. Hemant Rupani

0.05*
    actually statistic to CI is lie between -0.05 and 0.05, not just less than 0.05.
    it was just addition/subtraction to the mean that to be less than 0.05.

5. salj67

salj67 Member

So even if i solve it using the range will it be correct?

6. Hemant Rupani

Yes! but solve with full CI you'll get same solution.

7. salj67

salj67 Member

Thank you so much!! Really! :D

8. trackr

trackr Member

Hello all, apologies for bringing back an old thread. But I have a query with regards to this question.

IN part (i) solution, they say " Since n is constant it is the p(1-p) which determines the width. The GREATEST value this can take is when p = 0.5."

Now mathematically I understand why p(1-p) is the greatest when p = 0.5. But why did they take p =0.5 to begin with?

The way I am trying to solve this is via the range method. I end up at the exact equation towards the end of the solution for part (i). But i got stuck at what p-hat should be.

If someone could please provide me with an explanation I would be very happy!

9. Hemant Rupani

You need to show minimum value of 'Dr' for 'Nr/Dr < Constant' be true.
    Now, you know some range of Numerator. Think, for what extent you can get minimum value of Denominator. If Nr is lowest, Dr for the inequality shows minimum value higher than when Nr is highest. So, we choose Nr highest.

trackr likes this.
  10. trackr

trackr Member

Thank you I got it. Also, thanks to you & John for answering all our questions & queries!

John Lee likes this.