Q & A Part - 4; Question - 4.24

Discussion in 'CT2' started by sahildh, Apr 26, 2016.

1. sahildh

sahildh Member

Here the respective probability of outflow and inflows have been given in the question. It is not mentioned that the values of the outflows are dependent upon that of inflows. I solved the question by finding the expected value of inflows and then discounted them for three years each for 45 & 25. On the other hand I again found out the expected values of outflow in 4 possible scenarios and discounted them accordingly. Both these calculations for inflows and outflows were independent. Then I solved for total NPV.
    In the solution the overall probability of the scenario has been taken by multiplying the probability of inflow to outflow. Individually NPV for each scenario has been calculated and then the total NPV has been found.
    Both our answers differ.
    I want to know that are both the solutions are correct or am I missing something somewhere. It would be grateful I someone could guide me. Hope am clear in my question.
    Thank You.

2. Simon James

Simon James ActEd Tutor Staff Member

The solution assumes that the cashflows are at the start of the year - perhaps the difference is as simple as this?
    What answer are you getting?
    Simon

3. sahildh

sahildh Member

Sir I also calculated my values assuming both the inflows and the outflows incurring at the beginning of the year. But I didn't take a single probability for an entire scenario as taken in the solutions. I calculated independently the EPV of inflows & the EPV of outflows, and then found out the total NPV of the project. Whereas in the solutions they found out the various combinations of cashflows, found out an individual probability for each scenario and then calculated the total NPV.
    And obviously our answers would differ because they are taking a single probability for each scenario whereas I used the probabilities for inflows and outflows separately.
    And Sir I got NPV = 15.48911
    So is my method correct or am I missing out on any information ?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 26, 2016
  4. Simon James

Without seeing your calculations I can't tell if you are calculating correctly - are you calculating E(cashflows) or E(present value of cashflows)?

If you can upload some calculations (upload excel file?) I am happy to take a look

5. sahildh

sahildh Member

EPV of inflow = [45*(2/3)*v^3*annuity advance for 3 years] + [25*(1/3)*v^3*annuity advance for 3 years] = 78.78456

EPV of outflow = [50 * (1/4)] + [60 * (1/4)] + [{50 + 20v} * (3/8)] + [{60 + 24v} * (1/8)] = 63.29545

NPV = 15.48911

6. Simon James

I think you are correct except you seem to be using an annuity in arrears (value should be 1+v+v^2=2.735537). And then this annuity is valued at time 2, so you need a v^2 for the inflow (not v^3).
    This should give you the same result (as we will expect it to)

7. sahildh

sahildh Member

I was making a mistake in discounting the overall inflows to time 0 as you rightly said it must be (v^2) instead of (v^3), which gave the same result as in the solutions. All my doubts are clear. Thank you so much Sir.:)