Q&A Bank Qu 1.11 (ii) 2008

Discussion in 'CT4' started by Amy07, Apr 17, 2009.

1. Amy07

Amy07 Member

Hi everyone,

This is my first post so bear with me if it's not very clear...!!

I have used a different method (which I thought was perfectly valid) but it gives me a different answer to the given solution. If anyone can shed any light on why it's different I would be most grateful as it's driving me slightly mad...!!

Question
    Evaluate A68:2 using AM92 and interest rate at 6% pa.

My Answer
    My answer uses A68:2 = A'68:2 + A"68:2 (where the first is assurance with the life dying and the second is an assurance with the life surviving). This gives me an answer of 0.90821.

Given Answer
    A68:2 = vq68 + v^2 * p68
    This gives an answer of 0.89106.

I understand where the given answer comes from, I just don't understand why my answer isn't the same!! :(

Any help much appreciated!!

2. didster

didster Member

If I understand you correctly,

A68:2 is a endowment assurance payable at end of year of death or at end of 2 years if sooner.

A'68:2 (payable if live dies) = v q68 + v^2 p68 * q69
    A"68:2 (payable on survival) = v^2 * 2p68
    = v^2 * p68 * p69

If that's what you did it should be correct since they are the same (adding and factorising with (q69+p69=1)). Sometimes with these questions you may get slightly different answers due to rounding errors.

3. jensen

jensen Member

Please tell me this is not a CT4 question, because if it is, I havent come across this in the notes..

.. same goes for the Central rates of mortality and population projections type questions which i see from past year papers.

4. Michael

Michael Member

Looks like CT5 to me, so no need to worry Jensen. :)

Though central rates of mortality are in the core reading, and have come up in exams fairly recently.

5. Amy07

Amy07 Member

Apologies!!

I did indeed post this is the wrong Forum. Sorry for worrying you!!!

6. Amy07

Amy07 Member

Didster,

Thanks for your reply, even though I posted in the wrong place!!!

I then used (A68 - D70/D68 * A70) + D70/D68. I looked the relevant values up in the table and got my answer of 0.90821.

7. jensen

jensen Member

phew!! :):D