Q&A Bank 4.8(iii)

Discussion in 'SA3' started by ActEdStudent, Mar 29, 2008.

1. ActEdStudent

ActEdStudent Member

In this question, we assume that the level of expenses and profit deduction in each year is to remain at 25% and 5% respectively. How come we then need to apply claims inflation to calculate the claims incurred in each year, rather than assume a constant loss ratio?

2. Ian Senator

Ian Senator ActEd Tutor Staff Member

Not sure I follow your question....premium volume goes up each year, and inflation affects any outstandings each year, so will affect claims depending on when they are paid?

3. ActEdStudent

ActEdStudent Member

I think I have just got confused...

By 'net growth' does it mean net growth after allowing for claims inflation? I presumed that the premium written in year two would be 120% of premiums written in year one instead of 126% of premiums written in year one. Then in order to keep the loss ratio at 70% the claims incurred in year two would be 120% of the claims incurred in year one. But 'net growth' means after claims inflation?

Thanks.

4. Ian Senator

Ian Senator ActEd Tutor Staff Member

Ah, I see the problem. Depends on how you define net, doesn't it! In the exam, then, I think it's best to say something like 'before/after adjustment for inflation', just to be on the safe side!