Q&A Bank 2.13(iv)

Discussion in 'CT4' started by rinishj28, Jan 21, 2014.

1. rinishj28

rinishj28 Member

To find the distribution of the employees can we multiply the matrix by itself 5 times to get the 5-year probabilities ?

2. Tim.Sullivan

Tim.Sullivan Member

Hi

You'll be more likely to receive help if you copy the question in your post - many people who would be able to assist don't have easy access to the notes (Q&A bank in this case).

Sorry to point that out - but I know that you have had zero responses to some of your other posts for, I suspect, the same reason!

Thanks

Tim

3. Calum

Calum Member

And the short answer - probably yes, since that would be the normal approach, however five times is a lot so I suspect there is a shortcut you can use.

4. suraj

suraj Member

For that you've calculate 1-year probabilities and then construct a 1 year transition matrix.

You can't use Jump chain matrix or Generator Matrix for this.

Instead calculate 5-year probabilities directly like this:

\(P_{11}(5)\) and \(P_{22}(5)\) are nothing but \(e^{-2.5}\) and \(e^{-1}\) respectively because holding times are exponentially distributed.

and \(P_{12}(5)\) =

\(\int_0^5\) P(Holding state 1 till t) * Transition to state 2 * P(Holding state 2 for remaining time(5-t) ) dt

= \[\int_0^5 e^{-0.5t} \times 0.25 \times e^{-0.2(5 - t)}~dt \]

5. rinishj28

rinishj28 Member

Hi Suraj

I think that's where I'm stuck

What is the difference between the jump chain matrix and the normal matrix?

6. suraj

suraj Member

Transition matrix consists of probabilities of moving between states in a given time period (like 1 year in NCD model)

While in Jump Chain, we only examine the process at the times of transition & time spent in each state is not taken into account.
    You'll notice that the main diagonal entries in a Jump Chain matrix are always 0. That's because we're talking about probabilities of going to other states, when a process leaves a particular state.

We can use Jump Chain matrix for calculations where we're asked to find probabilities like -
    Say, Probability that process goes to state X before it goes to state Y, and process is currently in some other state.
    i.e. where time is not considered.

Have a look at Q8 of last session's UK paper for example.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 25, 2014