Purpose of tutorials

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by hatton02, Mar 22, 2013.

1. hatton02

hatton02 Member

I might not be very popular here but can someone explain to me the purpose of tutorials?

2. tiger

tiger Member

3. hatton02

hatton02 Member

Ah this is helpful. So a tutorial is different to a "taught course". I find learning much easier when taught by a teacher but I've found that the previous 2 tutorials I've been on I've learnt very little. This might be why as they are actually "block tutorials" rather than a "taught course".

So the purpose of tutorials are to just have someone in the room with you that knows the material while you tackle exam questions? I had read the notes, struggled with the understanding and was hoping the tutorial would solve the understanding but they never do and always feel mightily let down.

4. John Lee

John Lee ActEd Tutor Staff Member

I'm very sorry to hear that.

Regular/block tutorials build on the student's self-study and should be a mixture of the tutor summarising the key points and making them clear and then letting students tackle exam questions and then providing individual feedback and support as they go round.

When I was studying if I didn't understand something I put a StickIt note in the page and then took all these queries along to the tutorial and asked the tutor about each of them. I certainly encourage my students to do the same. If you didn't do this in the tutorial then since tutorials come with tutor email support - you could always ask these queries to your tutor via email.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2013