Prophet

Discussion in 'Careers' started by scarlets, Jan 29, 2007.

1. scarlets

scarlets Member

Hi there
    In one of my previous jobs a few years ago I used Prophet. Then I left the actuary world. Now I'm back in actuary but in my current job I do not use Prophet. I need to remind myself of Prophet as I have a few interviews coming up where they require Prophet experience. Even though I can broadly remember what I did with Prophet I would probably do very badly on a technical interview since I just don't recall stuff as it was some time ago since I had it in my face.

Sadly I never took with me any of my Prophet notes and didn't update my CV properly at the time (at that time I thought I was leaving actuarial for good!!!). Given how much people liked to complain about Prophet I thought there wasn't much future for knowing how to use it anyway. Funnily enough it's still around being used by a few companies.
    Does anyone know of any links on the net where I can help refresh my Prophet memories? Or does someone have an idea where I could purchase Prophet or obtain manuals? It would be very useful for me since it's been a while and sadly current employer doesn't have any material for me to look at. Heck, even a discussion here would be very useful!!!!
    Thanks
    scarlets

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 29, 2007
  2. Fiasco

Fiasco Member

It is unlikely that you will need to dicuss detailed technical aspects of Prophet in a job interview. Therefore, I would not get too worried.

What you need to note down on your CV are:
    - what tasks did you use Prophet for e.g. valuation, ALM, pricing etc
    - what level of competence did you have e.g. did you set up Prophet model youself or did you just enter the parameters and press the run button?

Try to anticipate any high level Prophet questions in the job interview by thinking about what steps you went through to get the job done. These steps might include data processing/data modelling , parameter setting, changing/setting up models, run setting, presenting results etc