Profits for Prospective and Retrospective SV. Deferred Annuities

Discussion in 'SP2' started by N_Exam, Apr 4, 2022.

1. N_Exam

N_Exam Very Active Member

Hi,

Please could someone let me know if my understanding is correct. Thank you :).

Q1) Profits for Prospective and Retrospective SV.

Retrospective SV. I understand that the profit retained is zero for Retrospective SV.
    This is because the whole asset share (assuming no surrender penalties) is given to the policyholder on surrender. The calculation of the SV is done by considering all cashflows of the policy; i.e. all timings and amounts of premiums, charges, investment returns etc.

Prospective SV: Original Pricing basis and Current Best Estimate basis.

Assume there is a product that has a 20 year duration. At 20 years, policy maturity, the company will make a profit of £100. At 10 years from commencement, the company will make a profit of £50. If a prospective SV (without any surrender penalties) is calculated at 10 years:

Then on an Original pricing basis, the profit retained by company is the profit earned to date. This is £50 in this case.
    On a Current best Estimate basis, the profit retained by the company is the total profit as if the policy had not surrender. This is £100 in this case.

However, it seems to me that a SV on a Current best Estimate basis is not fair on the policyholder surrendering as total profit is taken. It would be fairer to use the Original Pricing basis.

Q2) Deferred Annuity:-
    I am slightly confused on the concept of a Deferred Annuity (DA).

Exam 2018 April, Q7, States
    "A life insurance company has taken on the existing insurance risk of a pension scheme through a “bulk buy-out” arrangement. Under this arrangement the life insurance company has taken on the risk via a number of without profits deferred annuity liabilities to pay benefits to the members when they retire.
    The company has incorporated the bulk buy-out policies (i.e. the deferred annuities) into its actuarial valuation model and processes, and is able to produce a monthly valuation of the liabilities. The policies and liabilities can be identified at a member level.
    The company has been asked to provide transfer values (i.e. the value of the member’s deferred annuity, which they can transfer to another provider) to members at the point at which the members request them."

From an insurers point of view, does this mean a DA is such that the insurer receives premiums up to the retirement date of a policyholder and then provides an annuity to the policyholder. Thus the policyholder is "locked-in" into taking an annuity with this insurer?
    The third paragraph seems to suggest that for a DA the policyholder can transfer their policy to another insurer before the annuity starts (i think its called the vesting date?).

2. Mark Willder

Mark Willder ActEd Tutor Staff Member

Hi

I'll answer Q2 here and Q1 in my next post.

A deferred annuity could be regular premium or single premium. Here though the contract is single premium. The pension scheme has passed on the risk to the insurer in return for a lump sum.

In this case the question tells us that the policyholder can transfer to another insurer. Effectively the transfer value is like a surrender value, but it cannot be taken as cash (due to pensions legislation), but must be invested into another pension scheme.

Best wishes

Mark

3. Mark Willder

Hi

Yes, this all sounds correct if we ignore the effect of discounting. If someone surrenders at time 10, then on the best estimate basis the profit at time 10 would be the present value of the 100 profit at maturity.

I agree, it probably is fairer to use the pricing basis so that the insurer gets half the profit for a contract that is surrendered half way through. Getting the full profit sounds too much (under the best estimate basis) and getting no profit sounds too little (under the retrospective asset share).

However, using the pricing basis wouldn't work at early durations as it would give negative surrender values. So the insurer could justify making a bit more profit on the later surrenders to make up for losses on early surrenders.

Best wishes

Mark

4. N_Exam

Thank you Mark for confirming my understanding of prospective and Retrospective surrender values.

Please could you help me solidify my basic understanding of deferred annuities (DA). This might be a silly question but i need to ask it :-
    The policyholder pays in a single premium or regular premium until their specified retirement date.
    The policyholder can transfer (to another insurer) or surrender or PUP their policy until that retirement date.
    Once the retirement date reached, they can convert the policy into annuity.
    For SP2 questions, if an insurance company sells DA or has bought a book of DA, should I assume they are able to convert the policy into an annuity at retirement?
    Also, is the conversion of the policy into an annuity called "vesting", so the policy is vested with the insurer at the vesting date?

5. Mark Willder

Hi

Yes this all looks correct. Yes, the policyholder will be able to convert their policy into an annuity at retirement.

Best wishes

Mark

6. N_Exam

Thank you :):):)