previous exam questions

Discussion in 'SP6' started by Little Miss Lazy, Mar 28, 2010.

1. I'm currently working through some past exam papers concentrating on those from 2005 and onwards and was wondering if you could clarify if all the past questions are relevant. Thanks

2. Hi!

Yes - all of the st6 exams are relevant (since 2005).

I would strongly recommend looking at the CID (Certificate in Derivatives) questions as well. This was a pre-2005 exam but the course content was very similar. Many of these questions are included in the Q&A bank so don't do both! You'd soon realise if you did.

Finally if you have time - use selected questions from the ACID (Advanced Certificate in Derivatives). Based on the ST6 course material you should be able to tackle a good lot of the interest-rate modelling questions and the P/L graphs which you'll see are pretty popular with examiners. I think you may be able to answer other questions from the ACID papers, can't remember which ones though. You'll know by looking at the question whether it's examinable or not - and if you're interested in derivatives and fin maths then you'll be keen to have a go anyway!

There's not much time left between now and the exam so the ACID questions really would be a luxury rather than a necessity!

Please do however attempt these questions if you get the time - the examiners use the same questions again although relatively infrequently. I remember when I did ST6 there was a ~20 mark question lifted from one of the ACID papers.

Also - I remeber seeing an ACID question which was lifted directly from one of the end of chapter questions in Hull (some of the questions in Hull are really useful). Make sure you read the textbooks carefully - you need to understand both really well - they are the core reading after all!

Good luck with the revision - and remember that when you're in the exam to answer the question(s) you definitely know how to first, to free up time for the more tricky ones.

Regards,

Conall