Presentation - technical terms

Discussion in 'CA3' started by Viki2010, Jun 13, 2015.

1. Viki2010

Viki2010 Member

I'm going through the ASET solutions and looking more closely at the narratives given for the presentation. I've noticed that there is quite a lot of technical terms in the example for January 2013....is it acceptable to use the following:

- life expectancy
    - mortality
    - probability of death
    - annuity rates

2. ZimboActuary

ZimboActuary Member

hi

i failed my first ca3 exam and currently, i am preparing for a resit.

I however think that you should tell us who was the audience for the question you are looking at.

On the surface, the words do look like jargon, however you must think of the WHO, who are u communicating to, and most importantly, has the person written to you, using such words as mortality and probability of death in such a manner that they seem to know the meaning of these terms.

You can actually lose marks by going the extra mile trying to explain every 'technical' term to such an extent that you appear patronising.

3. Viki2010

Viki2010 Member

Hi ZimboActuary, that is a fair point....I thought about it but it is quite hard to tell what would be 100% appropriate for the audience....

isn't it best to avaid all technical terminology (actuarial jargon) just in case?