Presentation layout

Discussion in 'CA3' started by Act112233, Aug 1, 2013.

1. Act112233

Act112233 Member

Hi,

If your agenda slide bullet points do not link directly to other slides how much would this cost in marks?

Also if you use too much information but still get the point across how much would this cost in marks?

Are mistakes like this ok as long as the overall communication is ok?

Finally is it possible to do really well in the written and poor in the presentation and still pass?

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 1, 2013
  2. Batman

Batman Member

Hi,

From my experiences, no it's not possible to do poor in one aspect and still pass. I think the pass mark is quite high so if you do poorly in one aspect then it would need perfect marks in the other which is hard ot obtain regardless of your level.

In terms of the presentation mistakes, I understand there are specific marks available for format, layout and make-up of the slides so you will lose marks for this even if you correct it in giving the actual presentation.

Also, a lot of the marking will be based on the feel of the examiners. If you have the wrong slide headings it is unlikely the presentation will flow properly and thus lead to the examiners penalising you further.

On the plus side, you know what mistakes to look out for!!

3. Act112233

Act112233 Member

Well I was thinking of an example like below:

Agenda

Method a
    Examples
    Method b
    Comparison
    Questions

Actual slides

Method a
    Different rates
    Method b
    Different rates
    Comparison
    Summary
    Questions

The main reason why I'm asking is that to have a bullet point for each slide seems excessive as here for example I would have 7 points. In this example the agenda is approximately correct with overall outline so surely this should not affect flow of presentation critically? I was thinking you would lose some marks for layout say 3-4 marks but not too much more for the actual presentation?

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 2, 2013
  4. Ian Senator

Ian Senator ActEd Tutor Staff Member

You don't have to stick rigidly to one agenda item per slide that follows. As long as your agenda briefly says what's coming up next, that's what matters.

If you include too much unnecessary or irrelevant information, you will lose marks. Whether it's enough to fail you would depend on how much irrelevant material you included and whether it detracted from the main message.

I wouldn't rely on your 'good answer' to one question offsetting another 'poor answer'. Whilst a little bit of 'cross-subsidy' is ok, a major cross-subsidy is unlikely to work.

Hope this helps!
    Ian