Pre-Actuarial Qualifications

Discussion in 'Careers' started by scouseben, Jun 27, 2007.

1. scouseben

scouseben Member

Hi folks,

I'm a new actuarial student and currently trying to work out the best way to get on a good graduate/trainee scheme with one of the larger companies.

Unfortunately, although I have a 2.1 BSc Physics, my A levels weren't that great and I only have 260 UCAS points (C in Maths). It seems that most companies require 300+ UCAS points with an A or B in Maths at A level. Does my degree (which included modules in maths and statistics way above A level standard) "over-rule" the not great A levels?

Also, I am currently independently studying for CT1 and possibly CT3. Would passing these be sufficient to demonstrate my mathematical ability? Alternatively, how about sitting a maths A level again in the hope of a higher grade?

Further to the above questions, does anyone have any other ideas?

Thanks in advance :)

2. bystander

bystander Member

Good for you for persevering!!

Doing the exams independently and being successful is your best bet. You've got into the Institute so don't waste time redoing an A-level.

Why are you so fixed on certain 'big' companies? Just get in with someone and maybe with time you can move if you do well at work and in the exams.

By the sound of things, someone is missing out on someone with the right attitude. Exams aren't everything - though some companies would disagree.

All the best!

3. examstudent

examstudent Member

do CT1/CT3, you'll get used to the gruelling actuarial exams,,

if you really need to boost the a level maths at a later date, you can always do that after CT1/CT3, when you'll find a level maths as easy as tying your shoelace( especially as a level has been dumbed down in the last couple of years!)

4. jeaneu

jeaneu Member

If you haven't already, it may be worth checking whether the maths and stats modules in your degree qualifies you from any exemptions from the institute...

5. scouseben

scouseben Member

yer, i thought about that, but it seemed a bit complex to arrange, and as the modules I sat a couple of years ago i figured i could to with a refresher...have you had any exemptions? did you find it easy to arrange? thanks.:)

6. examstudent

examstudent Member

if you are entitled to exemptions i'd apply for them no matter what, as you ll have one less exam to do, and can move onto teh next stage quicker.
    you can always refresh your memory/content in other ways e.g acted FAC.

this might spark controversey, but exemption exams are much easier than actuary exams (this is a personal view, others will disagree), and I'd take advantage of any credit you may have...

7. avanbuiten

avanbuiten Member

I had a 2.1 maths degree, plus actuarial diploma with 4 exemptions... and no big 4 company would interview me due to my A levels.

So I went to work for HBOS (which is actually very big!) for a few years, passed some more exams plus got work experience... and am now going to work for what you'd consider a big company.

So moral of story: Big companies are a bit silly about A levels but there's not much you can do about this! That's just the way they are. Passing exams won't change their mind in respect of putting you on their graduate scheme. The only way you'll likely to get a job with a big company, is to apply in a couple of years time (with relevant work experience + exams) for a more senior position.

There are lots of benefits to starting out in a non-big company.