Post Exam Planning

Discussion in 'SP2' started by ActuaryBen, Sep 30, 2022.

Tags:
  1. ActuaryBen

ActuaryBen Keen member

Dear All,

SP 2 exam was over and all the best to those who took it.

I am wondering whether there are any advices on the next plan. I am not really confidence in my SP2 taken in Sep 2022. My plan is to take CP1 in Apr 2023, if I could pass my SP2.

If I couldn’t pass my SP2, probably I have to resit my SP2 exam in Apr 2023, instead of trying CP1.

May I know whether there are any advices for me to start preparing my CP1 or wait for release of SP2 result then only make the decision?

2. Mark Willder

Mark Willder ActEd Tutor Staff Member

Hi Ben

I wish you well with the SP2 results.

CP1 is a big course - we have 5 days of tutorials for CP1 as opposed to 3 days for SP2. So there's a lot of material to cover. Therefore I'd recommend that you start CP1 now, as time would be very tight if you waited until the exam results were out.

Having started CP1, I would recommend continuing with it regardless of your SP2 result. Then you can plan your studies knowing exactly what you are going to do and will avoid having to re-start CP1 at a later date.

The good news is that there is a lot of overlap between SP2 and CP1. So what you have learnt in SP2 will help you with many of the chapters in CP1. But also if you did need to resit SP2 (I'm keeping my fingers crossed that you don't) then doing CP1 in April would give you a good foundation for re-taking SP2 in September.

Best wishes

Mark

3. Bharti Singla

Bharti Singla Senior Member

What I would do in this situation is to start studying CP1 immediately. I would start with those chapters which are overlapping between CP1 and SP2 i.e. the 'Life Insurance' part of CP1. On the top of it, I would practice the past papers for only these chapters as of now(revision notes or ASETs might help!). Till the time your results will be out, you would have a good grasp of the majority of the chapters of CP1 which would also help for SP2 even if you decide not to appear for CP1 in April diet. If you pass SP2(I wish you do!), then you can continue reading the rest of the chapters of CP1 and practice the past papers. And if you don't, two months of studying life insurance would still help you in SP2.

As per my personal experience, I found CP1 much wider and practical than SP2, it will open your mind if you go through some past papers and would help you a lot in framing your answers in SP2 as well!!

4. ActuaryBen

ActuaryBen Keen member

Thanks Mark and Bharti's advices! Both are precious and have addressed my concern!

Happy New Year to you guys and all the best in 2023!