Poll re April 2020 Exam Plagiarism Accusation numbers

Discussion in 'General study / exams' started by pjlee01, Mar 6, 2021.

?

Poll: if you took exams in April 2020, were you accused of plagiarism?

Poll closed Mar 13, 2021.
  1. No

8 vote(s)
    88.9%
  2. Yes (outcome: accusation was withdrawn e.g. following my response)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Yes (outcome: was told I had failed the exam)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Yes (outcome: was told I had failed the exam AND facing a disciplinary case)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Yes (outcome: I prefer not to say)

1 vote(s)
    11.1%
  1. pjlee01

pjlee01 Ton up Member

(Important update: the usernames of voters for each option ARE visible)
    Given the problems caused by the "plagiarism" issue in 2020, which may reappear in the 2021 exams, I am trying to get a feel for how many disciplinary cases there might currently be from actuaries accused of plagiarism in the April 2020 exams. This is likely to be situations where a member was accused of plagiarism but the IFoA still suspected plagiarism following any response by the member. (Yes, I can appreciate the difficulties in proving that something was well memorised rather than copied for example.) I also realise that it is possible that the IFoA may have decided just to fail members in such cases, and not necessarily bring a disciplinary case against them (although I suppose it might still do so if it suspects plagiarism on a 2nd or 3rd occasion). For anyone facing a case, or at risk of facing one in 2021, this thread is very important.
    PS As this is the first time I've seen/created a poll on this forum, I don't know whether people can see who voted what -I hope not so that people who are still facing plagiarism accusations will feel free to vote it!

Last edited: Mar 6, 2021
  2. pjlee01

pjlee01 Ton up Member

(My thanks to the mod who corrected the typo I had made in the poll question :)).
    Unfortunately because votes are fully visible, it looks as if it will be difficult from this poll how many disciplinary cases of alleged "plagiarism" there might be. The Disciplinary Board's Annual Report (which is meant to cover the period 1 March 2020 to 28 February 2021) should include this information, but, from experience of last year, this is unlikely to be published until July.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2021
  3. pjlee01

pjlee01 Ton up Member

The votes no longer seem to be individually identifiable (thanks to whoever managed to change that), so the poll might now be able to provide useful information, since those accused of plagiarism might feel able to vote in it.