Politics

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by mnemonic, Oct 28, 2009.

1. mnemonic

mnemonic Member

Does anyone else have too many politics at their work? I used to work somewhere where all people were interested in was how something would be good for them , and there were so many people who were just plain nasty. A couple of them actuaries, but others wide-ranging from secretaries to CEOs.

I'm sure there are politics everywhere, but how do you cope with it?

I've left that place now, so much better! :)

2. Cardano

Cardano Member

However bad it was, console yourself that at least you didn't pursue an academic career, the politics would have been far more viscious.

3. mnemonic

mnemonic Member

Could be true Cardano! I was really bullied at my last place, by several people. As I said, glad to be away but sometimes keep thinking of the awful place!!! Not looking for sympathy btw as dealing with it, but seems to me that workplace bullying is so unnoticed and can be so detrimental to your career if you speak up.

4. capitalH

capitalH Member

I have a theory on Office Politics (untested).

In meritocracy workplaces where merit is rewarded my theory is you will find less politics as it is not rewarding.

In workplaces where promotions and rewards are more subjective, politics will dominate.

I would rate bullying as rare though - backstabbing is much more common...

5. Busy_Bee4422

Busy_Bee4422 Ton up Member

This is an issue which really rankles me. For you it is just your workplace. In the country I live it is everywhere.

I think central to this issue is the fact that there are people who you do not share values with. The wider the gap the bigger the problems. Once that happens consider stepping away as soon as possible. When we go for interviews we should also interview the company for this reason.

I hear stories of creative and stimulating work being done at google and think it is possibly a genuine meritrocracy (you rise by merit) creating massive value. I am yet to hear of that in an actuarial firm. I mean hearing it from the employees. I would hope that the so called intellectual ability would translate to a general understanding. Please fill in on the good places to work in actuarial fields.

6. Goku

Goku Member

What is workplace-bullying?

7. Cardano

Cardano Member

Bullying in the workplace!

(Forgive the tautology) :)

8. capitalH

capitalH Member

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 30, 2009