Planning my studies

Discussion in 'CT4' started by Phil, Apr 14, 2006.

1. Phil

Phil Member

Hi

CT4 is one of the 3 courses I'm about to study in time for September.

I'm not in actuarial work so haven't got any friends to ask these question.

To help me plan my studies, could someone say please:

Which chapters of CT4 are more difficult than most?
    Which chapters of CT4 are easier than most?

CT2, 6 are the others I'm studying

Thanks

2. Erik

Erik Member

You, again?

OK

Chapter 6 and 11 are the most difficult chapters.
    All other chapters are easy enough to understand and question practice is key.

Good luck.

Erik.

3. Muppet

Muppet Member

I wouldn't worry too much about which ones are easy/hard. We probably won't all agree.
    But finish the course(s) as soon as you can to give you the maximum time to practice and revisit/understand what's going on.

4. Phil

Phil Member

Thanks Eric, Muppet, Kanch and Dha for your tips.

I didn't realise doing 3 subjects for a Septmeber sitting was so unusual. Anyway I'll be brave and try and do it even though I won't have the benfit of study leave in the temping I'm doing at the moment.

I've struggled to get any graduate job that make use of my maths degree. At first I wanted to be an actuary but struggled to get many interviews (had 3) due to having less than 24 A-Level points. So I considered other jobs e.g. Credit Risk Analyst but I had the same problem.

So to try and overcome this I've started the actuarial exams.

Good luck with your studies too :)

5. scarlets

scarlets Member

Good advice I think.

I believe the only way to tackle actuarial exams seriously is to study continuously. I tend to read the notes of a part of a course during the week then attempt the Q&A and Assignemnt questions for that part on the weekend. Then the following week do the same for another subject. Works well for me. It's digestable this way.

Previously I have tried to cram in the subject for 4-6 weeks before an exam but it just doesn't sink in that way (for me, anyway), as there's such a large volume to take in.