Plan of attack

Discussion in 'SP4' started by 2bfrank, Aug 26, 2010.

1. 2bfrank

2bfrank Member

Afternoon

So I have done my reading, completed the assignments and got my notes in shape. I am staring at 70 odd pages of notes but unlike CA1 wondering if there is as much value in rote learning a lot of it. I was hoping a few people might share how they feel it best to approach the next month.

Would it be best to be ruthless and get all the chapters down to one or two pages max (perhaps with exception of ch 15!!), learn this and then just pile into every past exam question I can lay my hands on? Or perhaps people think it is important to learn all the basics in some detail as long as I complete the ASET?

Could a tutor give me an indication of the approx percentage of marks available for core reading and how volatile it is across papers? Seems a lot less and a lot more volatile than the 30% often cited for CA1.

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated!

Frank

2. bystander

bystander Member

Papers are generally a mix. But with the STs straight bookwork is rare. If they do crop up, like definitions of the different contribution rate methods you need to be very precise. Likewise if they ask for a formula, be clear in what your symbols represent eg what is an interest rate, how you allow for escalation, frequency etc.

So that's how to hoover up the easy marks.

Then there are the skills like making best use of the presented scenario. Final salary, defined contribution, large, small, new, closed etc. Look out for these clues in the question to make you think of relevant points.

So, look back at your assignments. Be honest about where you needed help and focus revision there. Then, past papers under full conditions are essential.

You've plenty of time to do revision and fit in a mock. That will be a good test of your exam skills.

As for notes, I prefer mindmaps that help in idea generation, but its personal preference. Some like pnemonics. But anything you prepare yourself tends to be most memorable.

Good luck

3. Gresham Arnold

Gresham Arnold ActEd Tutor Staff Member

I agree with Bystander's comments.

Although straight bookwork questions are rare, many questions expect you to apply the Core Reading to a particular situation, so you do need to know the ST4 Core Reading.

However, attempting lots of past questions under exam conditions is absolutely crucial - you need to develop your question answering skills. Doing past questions will also help you to build your knowledge of the Core Reading.

So, in summary, attempt lots of past questions, but also spend some time learning Core Reading.