PHD with actuaries exams or not.

Discussion in 'General study / exams' started by aakashkh, Sep 13, 2016.

1. aakashkh

aakashkh Member

I have cleared CT1 and CT3 from Institute of Actuaries of India, have completed B.Tech and is in the final year of MBA (Finance). I have been preparing for CT4, CT5 and will appear in coming diet from.
    I have two options:
    • Start looking for a job, work for a year or two, and the look for the option of higher studies in actuarial science or take a break and prepare for further exams.
    • Look for any PHD program in Finance ( Risk management) and continue both in three to four years time.
    My other query is, that without having prior king work experience is it good to clear exams (All CTs and CAs) and then join a company from a starting.
    What is the ideal number of exams one should clear before joining a company because it becomes very difficult to maintain a work balance between jobs and exams ?
    My current age is 21 years and I want to study for around 3-4 years in future and hence PHD with actuaries exams seems to be a great combination but again my doubt is that whether I'll be overqualified at that time or it is good to continue.

Bharti Singla likes this.
  2. John Lee

John Lee ActEd Tutor Staff Member

In the UK, nearly all students take the exams whilst working. So it requires discipline to fit the 6-7 hours of study per week in.

In India the entry job market is heavily over-subscribed and so getting a job usually requires several exams (my understanding is the employers are more interested in your ability to take the harder CTs - ie CT4, 5, 6) and knowledge of Excel functions and preferrably familiarity with a stats package such as R, SAS, SPSS.

aakashkh likes this.
  3. aakashkh

aakashkh Member

But sir, what are your opinion on clearing all CT series and CA series exams and then looking for a job in the context of the Indian market.

4. bystander

bystander Member

Like John I'm not in India so difficult to comment. I think it will depend on what level you expect to enter the job market. Those who have already been working have practical experience of the industry. You would have only theoretical knowledge. So you may get a role but it's at the level you would have got had you not got the higher degree. If an employer wants you to go on to qualify, they likely want to know you can work and study successfully together and this is different to studying two things at once. Also when you get to the later exams it can be helpful to have some relevant work experience though not essential because you can relate theory and practise

aakashkh likes this.