Passing

Discussion in 'CT6' started by falmazi, Mar 6, 2006.

1. falmazi

falmazi Member

I'm about to sit 2 subjects in CT4 and CT6 in April. I failed my first exam CT6 last year. Could anyone tell me what the trick really is to passing these subjects ? Everyone tells me to practice loads and loads of questions under timed conditions and some people tell me you have to study 3 hours every night after work. I find it hard to study that much as my brains been drained from the PC. Its fair to say you have to do loads of questions, but there are just too many and they take ages to go through thoroughly. Applied maths is not as easy as stats and pure maths. The examiners I know from experience can easily put in a question which is not standard on a particular topic which is what ruined my first exam. Having practiced loads of questions for this sitting, I still fear the exam will almostly certainly turn out to be what is not expected. And hearing of the low pass rates from some exams last year, my theory is correct. If the exam was as standard as uni/A level exams I'm sure the pass rates would be a lot higher.

I would appreciate some advice from those that passed these subjects.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 6, 2006
  2. veeko

veeko Member

The exams aren't supposed to be easy! They are not designed for the faint-hearted. The only person you can (technically) blame for failing is yourself! You can do as many questions as you like but, do you actually understand the mechanics? The "trick" as you like to call it is to READ THE QUESTION and make sure you understand it! To put it frankly, you have to stay ahead of the pack..................................................

3. bystander

bystander Member

Veeko is harsh but fair.

With the harder qns it is a case of you have to be able to think through the techniques you have learned.

But there is one ray of light.... You won't be alone thinking a qn is difficult so don't panic and chip your way through. Leave an audit trail and state assumptions. If you don't get to the end, you may pick up marks and differentiate yourself from the pack. As you progress, you'll find more than ever you need application skills rather than memory.

You are sounding dispondent. When you enter the exam, think +ve. You do know things. Don't let a single qn sway you. If panic sets in, you can often wave 'bye bye' to a pass.

Stay Cool!!!! Passing having tasted the bitter pill of failing is all the sweeter. Good luck!

4. Agree. I think the key is to understanding the principles set out in the notes which comes about through knowing the notes really well and being apply that knowledge to a new scenario (which you'll get through question practice).

5. Gareth

Gareth Member

i found that the CT exams can be passed through learning all the formula and methods, without really needing to have a deep understanding.

The ST exams are a different beast though, and you need to be able to reproduce the core reading at will to pass them. Often a 20 mark question will require 40-60 distinct points to get full marks, so you really need to memorise the many lists in the notes.