Passing Marks in CT subjects?

Discussion in 'CT3' started by hi5, Mar 25, 2006.

1. hi5

hi5 Member

Based on your experience, what do you estimate are the average passing marks at the CT stage?

Would 40/100 be a good guess??

2. I'd say it's likely to be nearer 60 or 65.

3. hi5

hi5 Member

Major bummer.

Now, any tips (from the exam point of view) on how to pass this with a few days left to go?

4. I think the best advice would be to just make sure you get lots and lots of practice. Work through ASET (but look at examiners reports too for those papers), and then if you get time start doing older papers off the Institute website. Good luck!

5. hi5

hi5 Member

*Little Miss Actuary

Thanks,
    I try to do that as much as possible.

One last question:
    Approx. how many past papers will be enough to give me a just pass.

6. Umm, no idea. It all depends on how happy you are with the material. I'm sure there must be people who have passed having only done 1 or 2 past papers (especially if you did lots of stats at uni). But personally I would want to have done atleast the ones in ASET (6 papers). If you don't have time to do all these papers properly, I think it would still be a good idea to have a look through them and read the answers.

7. hi5

hi5 Member

Thanks again for the help.

8. Catrina

Catrina Member

Pass mark

I'm replying at a rather late stage to the initial question of pass rates.

The question was about CT subjects in general but as this is within the CT3 forum I thought I'd mention that I was advised by an Acted Tutor (Bev) that it's about 65-70/100 for CT3.

Good luck in the exam!!

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 30, 2006
  9. examstudent

examstudent Member

catrina..

could you clarify
    ..you say you were told by acted tutor that the pass rate is 65 - 70/100
    do you mean pass mark or pass rate (number of people passing which is visible on internet results page anyway)..i ask because this forum is clearly interested in what the pass mark (i.e mark needed ine xam to secure a pass)

cheers

10. Catrina

Catrina Member

Mark<->Rate

My apologies for creating confusion. I did in fact mean pass mark is 65-70/100, not the rate, did not think too much about the different meanings.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 30, 2006
  11. hi5

hi5 Member

Thanks for the depressing news.

So who's looking forward for a resit in September.

12. Dha

Dha Member

Does the pass mark vary much by subject? Is it much higher in CT3 than CT4, for example?

13. Catrina

Catrina Member

variation in pass marks

Can't say whether the pass mark of CT3 is higher than that of CT4 but I remember this same tutor saying CT1, 2, 3 and 7 are apparently the easier exams. :eek:

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 4, 2006