Passing all CTs before getting job

Discussion in 'Careers' started by chfoong, Jul 15, 2009.

1. chfoong

chfoong Member

Hello fellows, I passed ct1,3,7 and looking for a job now. Just wonder how many of you really passed all CTs before your first actuarial job, or tell me how many cts had you passed to get one. I am just trying to get a fair idea on my current situation. Thank you!

2. bystander

bystander Member

If you passed all 3 at a sitting and haven't yet got a job, I'm sure many 'ers out there will br very impressed.

Some view having all CTs as a handicap, because your knowledge is all theoretical. Many prefer to develop your all round office skills whilst you are doing the CTs.

So get applying now & the best of luck

3. LangeSohne

LangeSohne Member

Also depends on....

where you're based.
    In some countries, employers tend to employ those who had graduated from university with an actuarial degree. In the UK, it's not such a problem.

4. chfoong

chfoong Member

I am in Australia Melbourne now. I know most of the actuarial employers here tend to employ their new blood from uni by holding those uni job fairs. Pity me not able access to those fairs because I am self studying actuarial courses and not their student. This is starting to worry me as I really wanted to get some real working experience!

5. ninjapuppet

ninjapuppet Member

actually, i have have 4 friends in sydney, who had done these CT exams, and are now all working. They have climbed the ladder very quickly compared to their university counterparts, i think mainly due to their previous profession and life experiences. They all got jobs before finishing all the CTs.

On the other hand, i am studying it at university of NSW and i certainly dont think i can get a position before i graduate since all my classes are during the day. You're right about the fairs since nearly every fortnight, theres employers comming to uni for us to network and learn about local firms. Theres nothing stopping outsiders comming.

I find out about most of these through posters at uni, and on facebook. maybe you should join the facebook groups for the actuarial societies at the local universities.