Pass range for Fellowship Exams (SA's)

Discussion in 'General study / exams' started by Imidinho, Jul 11, 2014.

1. Imidinho

Imidinho Member

Hi Tutors/On-line colleagues

Is there any indication of what the pass range eg. 55% to 60%, for the SA level exams are?

Thanks in advance.

2. mpyan1

mpyan1 Member

The highly secretive IFoA won't say. Must wonder why all this secrecy is at play...

3. mpyan1

mpyan1 Member

I've seen many, many very bright and hard-working people who've failed these SA exams over and over again.

They've studied to the point of having no social life or hobbies, with knowledge bursting out of their ears & work with this stuff on a day to day basis.

They put all they know down in 3 hours in a very structured way as advised by tutors and the IFoA yet the highly secretive IFoA don't allow them to pass.

These people are no mugs or strangers to exam technique since they've had a first time pass experience up to SA level.

They've paid the huge fees for exam counselling only to be told "you could have said this, you could have said that". Couldn't we all, folks? I bet those who passed could have said this and that too. Somehow they got to pass.

As gullible human beings we prefer not to think for ourselves but pretend that we are of course smarter than those the secretive IFoA persistently fail. And so it continues.

4. mpyan1

mpyan1 Member

Finally, the IFoA will pull a line where it suits THEM. There is no pre-determined pass mark. It's not like they have a standard where you have to score 60% on their papers to be considered worthy of being called an Actuary. Therefore, must wonder what the qualification actually represents.

I do pity the tutors who always get asked this very reasonable question on pass marks, who then have to mumble some random number between 55 and 70% to fob off the students.

5. John Lee

John Lee ActEd Tutor Staff Member

No we just say it's not public knowledge. ;)

6. Ian Senator

Ian Senator ActEd Tutor Staff Member

The IFoA aren't as 'highly secretive' as you suggest here, Mpyan1.

Although they don't (yet) reveal the pass mark for an individual paper, they've often said in the past (publically), that 40% wouldn't be unreasonable for an SA paper. However, they've also said (publically) that they have been (and are continuing to do so) try to boost the pass marks up, as they are considering publishing the pass marks at some stage in the future. Last I heard, though, there was still no definite decision on this. Watch this space....

Edit: just found this (old) article: http://www.theactuary.com/archive/old-articles/part-5/richard-muckart-q-26a-3A-making-the-grade/
    which suggests that 50% would "ensure a pass". So based on this, bearing in mind that for a relatively easy paper the pass mark would increase anyway, 40% doesn't seem unreasonable (subject to my comment above about boosting pass marks).

Last edited: Jul 14, 2014
  7. mpyan1

mpyan1 Member

That's as useful and trustworthy as a politician's promise. It's not gonna happen. They ARE secretive. Other professions reveal pass marks and/or how they are determined but the IFoA never have.

8. mpyan1

mpyan1 Member

So all those people I know of who had 10-15 years work experience and sat these SA and communication exams several times, spewing all their knowledge in the structure advised in the 3 hour slot couldn't get 40-50% on such a paper? You really believe that?

9. mpyan1

mpyan1 Member

Go back in the history of this profession and you will find high fail rates in decades gone by. Back then also they vowed to improve things to get more people to pass. Nothing has really changed, high fail and dropout rates persist. Their promises are like politicians promises. Looks like they quite like loads of people failing and having to resit... kerching!

10. Ian Senator

I'm afraid it's true. I've been part of the examining process for SA3 for many many years and unfortunately most scripts fall below that score.

11. mpyan1

mpyan1 Member

Why the secrecy, then?

12. Ian Senator

That's not a question I can answer of course, it's a question for the Profession.

However, I was at a conference held by the Profession some years ago, and somebody in the audience did ask why the marking schedules weren't published. The answer was along the lines of not giving the impression that there was only one correct way of answering a question, if I remember correctly.

13. mpyan1

mpyan1 Member

Sure and they never answer it or change to a more transparent situation.