Pass marks 2019 curriculum?

Discussion in 'General study / exams' started by KMER94, Jan 30, 2019.

1. KMER94

KMER94 Member

Hello

I was just thinking about my next exam, CM2, and I'm finding the Excel part relatively okay so I am hoping I will be able to score high marks on the Excel part 'Paper B'... But the overall marks will be weighted 30% for Paper B and 70% for the written Paper A. So I was wondering if the Institute has published anything about roughly what the pass marks will be for exams under the new curriculum?

At the moment CTs have had a pass mark of around 60.. So, do we think the CMs, CSs & CBs will be similar? In which case I could get away with getting like 50% on the Paper A if I scored well on Paper B.. Which I would probably quite like as the written paper is no fun.

Obviously won't be relying on a 60 pass mark to get me through but would be comforting to know at least!

Calm likes this.
  2. Calm

Calm Ton up Member

Same for me, I find that CM2's Excel is manageable. But that is countered by CS2's R... and while I do get to sit CT6 in NTU end of this April (with a CT4 pass from iFoA), there is no second attempt if the exemption is missed.

I'm assuming a pass mark of 65 for all of these. Of course there is no precedent (or a document from iFoA stating what this pass mark is), but my assumption is based on the new exemption agreement for the subsequent cohort in NTU (and the exemption mark is usually higher or equal at best to what the pass score for the respective iFoA exam is, based on old syllabus).

3. Harashima Senju

Harashima Senju Ton up Member

w
    What is NTU

4. Infinity

Infinity Member

Take the Indian exams. Pass mark is fixed at 50pc apparently...

5. Calm

Calm Ton up Member

Nanyang Technological University, where I can get exemptions. Arguably like Infinity said, if it's mapping multiple modules to one paper, it can be easier as you don't need to memorize the whole paper in one sitting, but NTU does it one-to-one so there's no advantage there.

6. patron

patron Member

I haven't read anything to suggest pass marks will move away from the 60 area we're used to. My tactic with these exams is to concentrate on Paper A, as a strong mark there will compensate for anything going wrong in Paper B.

I'd be surprised if the published pass mark was greater than 60, and I imagine they'll benchmark pass rates to an average of the last couple of years of CT8 pass rates.

7. Infinity

Infinity Member

And now if you fail you have to do two papers instead of one. Hardly lives up to the CEO promise that no one would be impacted by the new exam system.