Pass mark?

Discussion in 'CT4' started by Benny, Apr 12, 2007.

1. Benny

Benny Member

Hullo.

I've been told different things by different people. I know I should aim for as high as I can, but can someone tell me roughly what marks I need to secure a pass in CT4 and CT5?

Thanks!

2. Fiasco

Fiasco Member

I heard you will need to get 70% or more, but I believe the markers stick to the marking schedule rigorously. So they mark the papers hard.

I would aim for 80% to provide some margin for error when you are marking your own answers.

3. Leila

Leila Member

I have heard that the pass mark for CT4 is around 55%. And having failed it once myself and spoken to other people who have failed it, it simply cannot be 70%, otherwise we would not be getting FA FB etc. The harder the exam the lower the pass mark generally I think.

4. Benny

Benny Member

This is more in line with what I was expecting. 70% on this exam seems really hard! But at the same time 55% might be a little low? I mean, some questions (I'm looking at stationary distributions of markov chains, graduation tests, KM/NA) are easy marks, right?

That said, I couldn't get 55% on last September's paper that's for sure!

5. Goku

Goku Member

Bench-pressing benchmarks

I think 55% is a reasonably fair benchmark...expecially considering that the Exposed-to-risk will be one helluva question (requires quite a bit of thought), and don't forget that the examiners can set a mega-nasty Markov Chain question e.g. dependancies on the last 3 states (!).

Other than, I agree with you, KM/NA, graduations and the first 2 sections should be a chance to 'stash' some marks...

Good luck with the studies!

6. decrement

decrement Member

after talking to an ex examiner who is now an acted tutor i was told that the following pass marks apply

CT1/2/7 Need 55-65 to pass
    All other CT Need 50-60 to pass

After having exam counselling on this paper(failed by 1 mark), i saw that the pass mark for sept 06 was 56%

also when in the counselling they show u how hard they really mark the paper, had so many things done right but lost marks on silly things like assumptions, not defining t in my kaplin meijer (obviously it means time!!!)

7. Goku

Goku Member

That's hectic bru! Kinda reminds me of my Advanced Calculus lecturer, who said that in a definition, if a word is missing, it's completely wrong...even if it's a simple "the" missing...come on! Mathematics is about understanding, not rote learning...anyway, thanks for the advice man! Will keep an extra eye on those definitions and symbols.