Pass mark

Discussion in 'CA1' started by dan101, Oct 19, 2006.

1. dan101

dan101 Member

Does anyone know roughly what the pass mark is for CA1?

The reason I ask is that I just received back my first assignment. My mark was 42%, which is apparently a 'B' (probable pass). It seem to me a little unlikely that a score less than half marks should be a probable pass, unless the actual pass mark is ludicrously low.

Any information welcome.

2. avanbuiten

avanbuiten Member

50-55% usually.

If everyone scores badly on X1 then maybe they lower the mark required to get a B.

I remember when I did the X's I also thought the match between percent score & grade was a little odd.

3. bystander

bystander Member

pass marks are a well guarded secret but you do hear ranges of 50-60% talked about.

I wouldn't put too much emphasis on the mark as such. It's the comments that should be your focus as this should tell you your relative strength/weakness.

Did you answer all of the assignment? If not, the grade may reflect what you achieved on what you answered whilst the % relates to marks scored including zeros on the bits you omitted.

Maybe X1 is perceived as a relatively hard assignment.

Have a look at the graphs that ActEd do on the distribution of marks people get. That may give a better indication of where you're at relative to competition you'll face in the exam.

4. Gareth

Gareth Member

i usually score badly in assignments if i do them honestly (closed book and in the time allocated).

this is not something to worry about, since you are not yet ready for the real exam. if you still do badly a month before the exam in the mocks, then you can be worried.

5. Darrell Chainey

Darrell Chainey ActEd Tutor Staff Member

The exam pass mark is probably around 50% (based on information previously published by the Profession).

Your grade B does sound a little generous to be honest - but as bystander suggests, there may be a reason for this generosity and learning from the experience and improving on your weaknesses is the goal at this stage.