Pass Mark for CT3 April 2015

Discussion in 'CT3' started by hoodprincess, May 5, 2015.

?

How much will you score?

1. 0-45

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. 45-55

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. 55-65

4 vote(s)
    44.4%
  4. 65-75

3 vote(s)
    33.3%
  5. Above 75

2 vote(s)
    22.2%
  1. hoodprincess

hoodprincess Member

Hey,

So my paper didn't go really well. I found it tricky? Is it just me, or did others also think it was an extremely twisted paper? What do you guys reckon would be the pass mark?

I'm scoring around 60-65!

2. barabash

barabash Member

Ditto! :(
    Optimistically I scored 60.. Don't think I will pass.. I wonder whether there will be solutions posted anywhere?

3. Tarbuck

Tarbuck Member

Ditto - but everyone I took it with found it hard as well. I'd be surprised if I got much more than 50. I think one of the questions may have been off the syllabus too - I'm sure one of the questions was show the variance of the beta estimator of the linear regression model, whereas it explicitly says in the course notes you don't need to be able to do this. I did e-mail them and I've not heard back, so I'll look again when the past paper is published to make sure i remembered the question correctly and chase again.

4. hoodprincess

hoodprincess Member

Yes, also I made some silly mistakes on easy questions and that makes me feel all the more terrible.

There was this one question on marginal probability density for 8 marks, in which I got the marginal densities wrong but I got the following questions of independence and expectation of the function right in terms of concept. Numerically, it was obviously wrong since we had to use the marginal density to answer the expectation and independence question.

I read on an Examiner's report that you are not penalized for the same mistake twice, does that mean that I'll get the marks for those two questions since the concept/formula used is correct, although numerically it is wrong?

I'm also worried about whether I even got the test-based direct questions right. The last 18 marker, I didn't know what to do in the last bit at all. Completely clueless.

And I couldn't do the variance of the beta estimator of the linear regression model too, so I really hope you're right and it was, in fact, wrong.

P.S. I say 60-65 optimistically too :(

5. hoodprincess

hoodprincess Member

I think they'll post the solutions in about 2-3 weeks on the website.

6. John Lee

John Lee ActEd Tutor Staff Member

It was my fault that the notes say this.

The history behind this was that in chapter 13 there are multiple results which are quoted in the Core Reading without proof. I had so many students ask me where these results came from that I created an extensive appendix detailing the proofs of these results. However, after solving one problem I created another as I then had students asking me whether they needed to learn all these proofs. So to resolve that issue I then inserted text saying “This proof is not required but is included in Appendix … for interested students.”

Unfortunately, in my systematic approach to “resolving this issue” this included the mean and variance of beta given on page 16 of the notes. This was an oversight – as the mean and variance were tested in Subject 101, September 2003, Question 14. This question is actually included on our tutorial handouts and is specifically mentioned as an example of a non-standard question on regression.

I am sorry for the distress that this has caused you and I can assure you that this will be removed for the 2016 version.

7. barabash

barabash Member

Any thoughts about the pass mark, John? Or are you not allowed to say? :)

One part of me wants to know the right answers to the questions to evaluate my possible (miserable) score, and the other just wants to erase the whole experience from my memory..

8. hoodprincess

hoodprincess Member

Any idea what the pass mark for UK may be this time around? Can I even hope to pass if we're scoring around 60?

9. Tarbuck

Tarbuck Member

Well i checked the syllabus as well as the course notes so I'm still not convinced its on the current syllabus even if it was asked on a paper in the past - I just read through the linear regression model section of the 2015 syllabus again and it says derive and calculate the slope parameter and perform statistical inference, but nothing about deriving the variance of it.

To be honest I'd be surprised if I passed even omitting that question so I can't be too annoyed!

10. John Lee

Not allowed to say (and don't actually know for CT3) but I've always said to students that we would expect a 2:1 from Uni to be a pass, hence 60-65%.

11. John Lee

Technically what they are doing is getting you to apply your bias and MSE stuff from Chapter 10 to these estimators...

12. hoodprincess

hoodprincess Member

Hi John!
    Could you tell me if I'd get marks on this question?
    Thanks!

13. John Lee

Yes you do get follow through marks. So even if you're marginal densities are wrong you'd get all the marks for the following parts unless you simplify the question (eg get a linear answer instead of a quadratic).

14. hoodprincess

hoodprincess Member

Oh, thanks a ton! I don't believe I simplified it, the values were pretty simple. Easy question too, I just panicked I guess :(

Anyway, thank you! :)