Pages in course notes

Discussion in 'SA4' started by jfitz, Nov 21, 2015.

1. jfitz

jfitz Member

Slightly odd one...

Is there a summary anywhere of how many pages are in each chapter?

This used to be included in the summary at the start of the study guide but seems to have been removed for some reason.

I may be alone but j always find it useful to know the relative sizes of chapters for planning and progress purposes.

2. No there isn't!

It probably wouldn't help as much as you think ...
    ... as some SA4 chapters of similar length can seem much much "heavier" than others.

In particular the UK legislation chapters 2-5, the mortality section of chapter 17, accounting in chapter 22 and mergers chapters 23-24 for many students will take longer to study.

It also seems an appropriate time to remind anyone reading the forum of the following, especially those studying SA4 for the first time:

* Part 1 of the course is likely to seem the 'heaviest', as it contains a lot of facts and figures ... to avoid getting 'bogged down' I would recommend reading it once relatively quickly, and returning to it later once you've read the whole course. There is plenty of time between now and 30 April to revisit!

3. jfitz

jfitz Member

Hi Stuart

Thank you for the quick response and the general guidance.

All very helpful although to be honest I don't see any argument for not having an index / list of page numbers.

Thanks

4. It would be easy enough I think to add the page numbers to the materials and I'll discuss this with the SA4 team ...

... unfortunately the index is different. The course changes so much each year, it's just not practical to do the amount of updating needed.

Also it appears not many people rely on it, indeed in the six years I've been teaching SA4, you're the first person to say you've missed the index :)

But the good news is that the course notes (in e-book form at least) are searchable, so this does to some extent negate the need for an index.

5. GemmaT

GemmaT Member

I just came across this post and I can concur with jfitz! I also like to know the size of the chapters (regardless of how heavy they are).
    Also from a more recent post I see that jfitz has now qualified - any other helpful tips that might aid SA4 revision? This is my last exam and would love to get it on first attempt so that I can finally be free of actuarial exams!

6. If you don't get any other replies from students re: SA4 revision, have a look at the some of the other posts on this forum ... some useful SA4 revision tips.