oppurtunities for College Graduates

Discussion in 'Careers' started by DUDLEY, Nov 10, 2005.

1. DUDLEY

DUDLEY Member

Hi all

I am currently in my final year doing a Sceince Degree in Financial Mathematics and Actuarial Science, and will be hoping to continue studies in Actuarial Field.

Any recommendations on how best to go about looking for a position. Have tried some companies and they all say keep me on record and will check plans come early next year.

I expect this is standard.

Regards

2. Deniese

Deniese Member

recrutiers, recrutiers, recruiters.

when I left uni, I had the same problems with applying directly to companies, but once I started going to recruiters, fidning a job has not been a problem.

However, given that you are "fresh off the boat", you need to time your applications to recruiters with the times that those companies have deadlines for their applicants. And generally, speaking, companies tend to have favorite recruiters that they use so that even if there are not looking for people , they might take an interest when a recruiter sends a name over (seems to be case where I work).

recruiters I liike are - Elliott Bauer, Emerald group, Darwin Rhodes.....others I haven't used are, Hays, Arc, Acumen,...there are others that I have used but don't really care for them.

3. DUDLEY

DUDLEY Member

cheers Denise.

Have signed up with Emerald Group so fingers crossed.

4. olly

olly Member

Just as a point of guidance. It's a good idea to do research on the field and the employer when you go to an interview or even on the phone when you prospectively call up.

My HR director was particularly unimpressed with a graduate who phoned up and wanted a position becase she was "interested in a career in Actuary". She wasn't invited in for an interview.

5. avanbuiten

avanbuiten Member

One of my friends told a senior partner from Towers Perrin / Tillinghast that he wanted to be an "Acurist". :confused:

I think he was just very nervous. :rolleyes:

To this day we still ask him how his watch career is going! :D

6. Cymro Card

Cymro Card Member

I found insidecareers.co.uk (or is it .com?) pretty useful for deadlines.

It also gives contact names within the company which can be useful for a bit of fact-finding.

Good luck.