October 2019 Paper 2

Discussion in 'CP2' started by rlsrachaellouisesmith, Aug 13, 2022.

1. rlsrachaellouisesmith

rlsrachaellouisesmith Ton up Member

Hi

I have just completed this paper and I have a few general Paper 2 questions as well as specific questions to this paper.
    - Do we need to include information about self-checks in the summary document? I don't think we do but am hoping you can confirm this.
    - In the model solution some key values are included like the target profit and revenue from each parcel delivery in the data section. Is it important to include the key information/data values here?
    - In the model solution there is a graph with individual lines next to the bars for Scenario 4, how would this graph be produced?

I misread the charts requested, and provided a 2 charts one for each allocation method showing a comparison of the expected profit under each of the scenarios, compared with the target profit. if we do this but are still able to provide many of the conclusions are we likely to still score sufficient marks? It was a silly mistake which I hope not to make again but it would be interesting to get your view on this.

Thank you,

Rachael

2. Sarah Byrne

Sarah Byrne ActEd Tutor Staff Member

Hi Rachael

You should include checks in the summary to the extent that they demonstrate the results can be relied upon. You should also include reasonableness checks, again to show that the results the model has determined are appropriate.

If you included key results elsewhere you would still get credit. I'd say it is unusual that there would be data 'results' to include, but again, it is about giving our manager enough information on the project that they can be confident it is correct, and this could be part of this.

You would lose marks for the chart being incorrect under that part of the spreadsheet element of P2, but if you then provided the relevant conclusions you would absolutely score credit for those.

Sarah

3. rlsrachaellouisesmith

Thank you Sarah!

4. rlsrachaellouisesmith

Another question on this paper!

Why are there no comments about the reasonableness of the data provided? There is 1 mark for data validation and review in the mark scheme, but there does not seem to anything more than the chart showing the distribution of the simulated random numbers. Is this enough?

Also the results and conclusions seem much more basic than in other papers, many more observations without the explanation of why these are reasonable. Is this something that has been commented on before by tutors/other students?

Thank you,

Rachael

Last edited: Sep 4, 2022
  5. Sarah Byrne

Sarah Byrne ActEd Tutor Staff Member

The comments are brief, but it does state the source of the data and explain the check that the random numbers are between 0 and 1 and that the graph shows this. There are then assumptions about the accuracy of the data. Remember this is only 1 mark so we wouldn't expect to do a lot to earn it. The graph does most of the explanation for us here!

You can look at the marking schedule and see what was needed to score marks. Obviously the more recent papers are more likely to reflect the current requirements. However, students generally found Paper 2 of this sitting harder than Paper 1 (which is not typical). If you found it straightforward that is great :)

Sarah